Brick Pattern Not Aligning

kwhitt

I have built some brick posts to act as newels for a porch railing system.  When I first placed them, the pattern aligned perfectly with the adjacent brick walls.  Many iterations to the file later and that is no longer the case as can be seen in the images below.  I have tried assigning a copy of the brick pattern to these posts and moving position of the texture and the pattern won't move.  I understand the global tick box under material def's to imply that the texture is projected in a cubic fashion from one fixed coordinate on all objects in the scene.  Is this correct?  If so, how is it possible that the placement of the brick texture has moved on my posts?  How do I get things looking nice again?  I swear once I get one problem solved in Chief, a slew of new ones surface as a result of this problem solving.  Thanks, Kevin

BRICK.jpg

BRICK02.jpg

18 minutes ago, solver said:

Try moving the bottom up so they are sitting on the wall and not in it.

They are most definitely sitting on the wall - not in it.  They are symbols that I created.  The brick was aligned on these symbols before I changed the height of the crawl space which is when the problem started.  Could it be that the texture is now UV projected which is why it won't move? 

8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

They are most definitely sitting on the wall - not in it.  They are symbols that I created.  The brick was aligned on these symbols before I changed the height of the crawl space which is when the problem started.  Could it be that the texture is now UV projected which is why it won't move? 

Not sure about this but I am wondering if since it was made into a symbol and then added if the global mapping is not tied correctly to the pattern?  Since it wouldn’t know what plan it is supposed to be tied to?

maybe try painting the pattern to the symbol?

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Here is what I'm seeing. Column is 4" low.

ct2.thumb.png.a0a13ca5b4bd5c5acc0c00681f54f57f.png

Here is one fixed and with a new texture applied and aligned.

ct1.thumb.png.23bd7e821032a3a0cd5562e234173bf9.png

That's an older version which I have corrected.  When you moved it up, did you not see that the pattern didn't align?  If so, how did you correct it?  You say "... with a new texture applied and aligned."  Did you change the symbol or merely use the material eyedropper?  I have tried these methods to no avail.  Thanks for your input.

17 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Not sure about this but I am wondering if since it was made into a symbol and then added if the global mapping is not tied correctly to the pattern?  Since it wouldn’t know what plan it is supposed to be tied to?

maybe try painting the pattern to the symbol?

Thanks Ryan.  You're saying what I was saying.  Yes, I have tried painting the symbol - no luck.  I suspect Eric had to manipulate the material by adjusting material definition...  I will try recreating the symbol with it in it's proper elevation and replace the existing posts.

24 minutes ago, solver said:

Yes. Copied the material and applied it to the column. Adjusted offsets.

You could also make them with No Room Def walls. Material automatically aligns.

ct1.thumb.png.fdb662deb990faa812a3819c45335e46.png

That's clever.  Not sure how you'd get the cap though.  Thanks again for the help.  I'm guessing world origin for materials changes when you change wall heights making anything with fixed UV's out of alignment.  I'll have to remember to do all the detail stuff towards the end.

15 minutes ago, solver said:

I'd create the column using solids. Block together, don't make a symbol.

Material aligns.

ct1.thumb.png.f65107e1f4a365b28e10c71e170d7480.png

Great idea!  That's what I'm going to do.

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

That's what I thought.  Doesn't work once the object becomes a symbol.

So what was the purpose of making that a symbol? I'd have used p-solids in that instance, placed on their own layer and left them as solids. If I had a group of objects (to create the corbelled caps), I'd have made an architectural block. Much easier to edit. Then no need for an unnecessary copy of the texture.

35 minutes ago, robdyck said:

So what was the purpose of making that a symbol? I'd have used p-solids in that instance, placed on their own layer and left them as solids. If I had a group of objects (to create the corbelled caps), I'd have made an architectural block. Much easier to edit. Then no need for an unnecessary copy of the texture.

Because that's what I thought I had to do to put it in my library for future use.  Also, didn't realize I wouldn't be able to adjust the texture once a symbol.  Still learning and appreciate all your help!  Finally got the roof ridge sorted this morning!  Kevin

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Finally got the roof ridge sorted this morning!

Good for you!

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Because that's what I thought I had to do to put it in my library for future use

You can place an architectural block in your library as well, and then you can explode that block if you'd like. You can also edit each component within the arch block by 'tabbing' your way through the selection process (often a bit easier in elevation view). Pros and cons to symbols vs arch blocks but in the example of those brick columns in your plan I prefer the arch block.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robdyck said:

Good for you!

You can place an architectural block in your library as well, and then you can explode that block if you'd like. You can also edit each component within the arch block by 'tabbing' your way through the selection process (often a bit easier in elevation view). Pros and cons to symbols vs arch blocks but in the example of those brick columns in your plan I prefer the arch block.

Rob - thanks for the tip.  This seems a much better way to go about this.  Kevin