Lintel not extending?

Christina_Girerd

Trying another feature I don't normally use, the lintel extension for a door.  I thought I could quickly use the door lintel extension to have a unified lintel across the door and two side window.  It showed fine in the preview window, but upon closing the dbx, it only shows the lintel exactly over the door, as is shown in the image.  I lowered the windows down farther than I really want, just to see if they were causing a conflict, and they are now definitely lower than the lintel, so it doesn't seem they are the problem.

I know I can just draw a lintel manually, but now I'm curious why this isn't working as I expected.

2020 05 30 Lintel Extension.JPG

Try the delete surfaces tool.  For some reason if the door is recessed the lintel gets buried into the wall.

Why ?   That would be for Chief to answer.  I guess we need a Thickness setting or Display on Surface option.

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Looks like you need a thicker lintel via a molding profile

I know it is getting late but if I choose a CA-001 then where do I set the thickness ?

I think Christina found a Bug.

15 minutes ago, solver said:

You can't. The thickness is set in the molding profile. You can only change the height via the DBX.

Ok maybe not a Bug.  Just another confusing inconsistency in that you can control the "Depth" of the Casing in the DBX but if you want to change the depth of the Lintel using the same molding profile you need to draw your own custom profile.  Not like they ran out of room in the Lintel DBX !!!

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Maybe this should be how it works?

That looks good.  Not really practical for waterproofing though. But ok if used over windows.  WMR ??

25 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok maybe not a Bug.  Just another confusing inconsistency in that you can control the "Depth" of the Casing in the DBX but if you want to change the depth of the Lintel using the same molding profile you need to draw your own custom profile.  Not like they ran out of room in the Lintel DBX !!!

Not a bug, but it sure bugs me.  There are some other similar inconsistencies like that too, which I can't recall at the moment.. same thing where we can't control all dimensions of something which we can in a different dbx.

5 hours ago, Christina_Girerd said:

I deleted the windows, and it still won't extend.  Not worth messing with more at this point, I'll just put on a manual one.  Thanks for the suggestions.

If you mull the 3 units together can you  then add the Lintel Christina?  pretty sure I have done it that way before....

M.

When I mulled the the door and windows, then the lintel worked as expected.  Unfortunately, after that, I realized that the frame and lintel are a single material, so I can't give the lintel it's own material and the client wants a stone lintel, so I'm back to the manual lintel anyway.  Oh well! 

19 hours ago, Christina_Girerd said:

When I mulled the the door and windows, then the lintel worked as expected.  Unfortunately, after that, I realized that the frame and lintel are a single material, so I can't give the lintel it's own material and the client wants a stone lintel, so I'm back to the manual lintel anyway.  Oh well! 

The lintel will have its own material as long as there is an actual molding profile specified. When no molding profile is chosen it uses the exterior trim material.

I just tried it again, and yes, I could give the lintel a separate material.  I did have a molding profile for the lintel, but I was looking at it in a 3D view, and I'm guessing I accidentally spray painted the material in object mode instead of component and thus thought I couldn't change it individually.  I thought I had also looked to see if it listed a material separately for the lintel, but maybe not.  Anyway, good to know you can use a separate material for the lintel and I just missed it somehow.  Thanks.