Interior (Ceiling Plane) Valley Beam

johnny

I'm trying to model an interior beam along a valley based not on the roof plane pitch, but rather than ceiling plan intersection.  This has been a struggle even for some very good Chief minded drafters I have.

Attached is a picture to illustrate the effect I am looking for, and a pic of my model condition.  Does anyone have any recommends?  What I have tried so far is:

1. Roof Beam - but it uses the roof pitch not my ceiling plane.

2. Rafter - same problem.

3. Polysolid - can't get to an angled view to make work.

4. Solid - seemingly uncontrol-able at an angle.  Starts to twist as it rotates.

interior_valley_beam1.png

interior_valley_beam.jpg

29 minutes ago, johnny said:

1. Roof Beam - but it uses the roof pitch not my ceiling plane.

2. Rafter - same problem.

3. Polysolid - can't get to an angled view to make work.

4. Solid - seemingly uncontrol-able at an angle.  Starts to twist as it rotates.

1.  Ya, that one is no good.

2.  Same, but do as Eric suggested and use the actual ceiling framing and you'll be in better shape.

3.  Not sure what you mean.  It's pretty easy to either set up an elevation view at the desired angle and then drawn the p-solid in that view, and it's equally as easy to simply rotate the p-solid after the fact. 

4.  Quick tip.  You have to select the object by the appropriate face to get the desired rotational behavior.  Also, try group selecting the object before rotating to get more expected results.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

3.  Not sure what you mean.  It's pretty easy to either set up an elevation view at the desired angle and then drawn the p-solid in that view, and it's equally as easy to simply rotate the p-solid after the fact. 

Thanks everyone for the ideas - working on it now.

What i meant by #3 is when I place the PS in position, and then get my camera in place it doesn't offer me the ability to rotate at an angle like that.  At least its not working the way I am trying.  I'd love to know if you can get that to work, since it was actually one of the first things i tried.

31 minutes ago, solver said:

Use the ceiling framing?

ct1.thumb.png.053055495d6a46e5a2d09c5fc6086809.png

Wow....that was CRAZY simple and now even all my textures work perfectly.  It even cuts all the beams at the right angle...that was exactly what i needed. Thank you for that suggestion.  

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Very nice!

Just a friendly reminder, but don't forget how handy the Help Files can be.  A quick search would have turned this up and saved a little of your trial and error time...

framing.thumb.png.ee48937f791f44622acf5d11d7137f5e.png

Since you brought it up...  even though this was incredibly easy to do in Chief, its not intuitive.  I wouldn't have considered the idea that I should use ceiling plane framing to then falsify into the beamed members unless Eric and you suggested it.  Therefore, i wouldn't have known to search this issue out in a way that made logical, successive, steps forward.  In retrospect I see the logic, and next time I run into this I have a good answer.

One of my first options was of course to use the tools that are titled correctly for the modeling I want to perform - ceiling beams.  If you ask me, I think ceiling beams should be able to follow a ceiling plane - and have their angles controlled by user input.   As is fairly typical for Chief - there are ways to accomplish things but they are too often not direct nor intuitive. (i.e. the best column tool i have is using a cabinet or countertop...the list goes on and on)

The Chief guru's on the forum are invaluable to this program - you and Eric stand out for helping people get past things like this and I thank you both.

• Upvote 1

I have often said that ridges, valleys, ledgers really need their own DBX. to adjust them individually . right one the ridge and the ledgers are the same, that's just wrong.

edit; add hips to that list ,around here every hip is a beam.

• Upvote 1