Crawl space vents?

kwhitt

I've got some 30 x 16 louvered crawl space vents (rectangular) that need to recess into the brick foundation to the sheathing layer.  I keep getting the result shown in the attached picture.  I suspect the problem is the pony wall foundation I am using to get a brick ledge.  Any ideas on how to do this?  Thanks,  Kevin

vents.jpg

13 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I've got some 30 x 16 louvered crawl space vents (rectangular) that need to recess into the brick foundation to the sheathing layer.  I keep getting the result shown in the attached picture.  I suspect the problem is the pony wall foundation I am using to get a brick ledge.  Any ideas on how to do this?  Thanks,  Kevin

vents.jpg

Is that a window that you customized to make the vent? If so have you tried turning off the casing?

3 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Is that a window that you customized to make the vent? If so have you tried turning off the casing?

Thanks Ryan - That works (sorta'), but I'm still not getting a rectangular cut-out (bit of jog at the top).  Besides, the vents I am using have casing (historical home).  Any other ideas on how to get it to work with the casing?  Kevin

vents no casing.jpg

2 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Ryan - That works (sorta'), but I'm still not getting a rectangular cut-out (bit of jog at the top).  Besides, the vents I am using have casing (historical home).  Any other ideas on how to get it to work with the casing?  Kevin

vents no casing.jpg

not in chief at the moment but I bet in the framing there is an option that cuts out the concrete buckout like doors that maybe can be unclicked?  Looks like the brick knows to go to the window but it is leaving space for "framing" in the buckout of the pony wall.

9 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks for taking a look Eric.  It took me a while to delete some stuff.  What's left was necessary to demonstrate the problem.  Kevin

vent_wall.plan

image.thumb.png.7db6f9911cee6a27bbf7135a14ca41d6.pngIt is the rough opening setting for the window.  Try to set it to 0 instead of 1/2"

32 minutes ago, rgardner said:

image.thumb.png.7db6f9911cee6a27bbf7135a14ca41d6.pngIt is the rough opening setting for the window.  Try to set it to 0 instead of 1/2"

Thanks again, Ryan.  That does help.  At least I'm getting closer.  If only I could adjust the top and bottom concrete cut-outs.

Untitled 9.jpg

DBX.jpg

1 minute ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks again, Ryan.  That does help.  At least I'm getting closer.  If only I could adjust the top and bottom concrete cut-outs.

Untitled 9.jpg

DBX.jpg

I don't follow but in lots of cases there is not really a casing and will on vents and/or windows in brick walls...  If it is then its usually a brick or stone.

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I don't follow but in lots of cases there is not really a casing and will on vents and/or windows in brick walls...  If it is then its usually a brick or stone.

What can I say - this is Colonial Williamsburg we're talking about...

2020-05-30 13.59.14.jpg

2020-05-30 13.59.31.jpg

20 hours ago, solver said:

Vents placed on foundation level.

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/A0hKA-eLAwo?hd=1

Eric - thanks again for the video.  I am having some trouble following your steps.  The first image shows the current state before making changes to the wall.  When I change the foundation walls as you suggest, I get an error stating "The main layer of existing walls will be moved to accommodate this wall type change" (images 2 and 3).  Image 4 clearly shows that I've done something wrong.  The result (image 5) are my walls moving and my windows disappearing.  What am I missing?  Kevin

01_before.jpg

02.jpg

03_error.jpg

04.jpg

05_after.jpg

25 minutes ago, solver said:

Brick ledge is 0 on all walls.

ct1.thumb.png.9f50500c6ea66e892701de0b304ca9e6.png

It still pushes all the walls outward by 3.625" and I lose my windows.  Were I to approach it this way, I probably should have started with these walls as defaults.

10 minutes ago, solver said:

The video shows adding 3.625 in the Foundation Offset field of the house walls. 

Which I have and changed first.  It is still pushes the walls outward.  I will attach the latest version of the plan in a .zip file (getting rather large at this point) in a subsequent post.  I watched the video 3 times and have no idea what I'm missing.  Thanks, Kevin

offset.jpg

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Rebuild the foundation.

Place foundation vents on the foundation wall and move up.

ct1.thumb.png.35cf6507754573f8f22cd8b354b6dcc2.png

Is this an alternative to what you show in the video or am I to follow the video, rebuild the foundation, and then place the vents?

Thanks Eric.  Understand about auto foundation, however, when I make those changes, I now get a big mess everywhere.  Should I just delete the foundation, make my walls changes, and then turn on auto-build foundation?  Fortunately, I have made backup copies.  Kevin

01.jpg

14 minutes ago, solver said:

I also set the brick ledge on the foundation wall to 0, but not sure it makes a difference.

Think I got it now.  I had some wall types other than Brick-4 and Brick-6.  I deleted the foundation, changed walls to proper type, and auto-rebuilt.  Thanks!