CREATING FURNITURE SCHEDULES

heidimm

Using x11. I can't seem to find a way to create a table and fill it in myself. My office project is using all Herman Miller products, so I had to bring blocks into sketchup, customize and import to CA. What is the best way to create a furniture schedule? I have my info in Excel, but I don't want it to be a PDF, I want to be able to edit it in Chief.

Did you try a Furniture Schedule?  You can display all of the properties of the symbol or even enter your own info.

Or  you can copy and special paste Excel data into Rich Text but it won't be live. 

As Chop said-I use a Chief schedule based on the objects in plan. Besides pasting excel into RT box, you can also save the excel file as a csv; copy and paste into a regular text box. That can have a link to the CSV file. It won't update live but does provide quick access to make changes to the csv, copy and re-paste.

image.thumb.png.9ba9f5f5ab24df0e74d12533a87f6716.png

Thank you for responding. I figured it out. Since I made the blocks in Sketchup they had nothing assigned to them, so when I did a furniture schedule it was blank, and I couldn't figure out how to populate it. I did figure out how to add that info, but ti still seems like I should be able to just manually create a table for whatever I like.

9 hours ago, heidimm said:

but ti still seems like I should be able to just manually create a table for whatever I like.

Well you said you had the data in Excel so that's how I answered. You can create a table in Chief with a text box if need be.

image.thumb.png.e9e2994ccef04300b6679d80890ada3f.png

Ok, so I thought I had it. I spent many dull hours over the weekend adding object information to all of the blocks I created in sketchup, but they still were not showing in the furniture schedule. Then I realized that they were not in the furniture layer, they were in the fixtures layer, so I changed the layers of everything, and they still don't show up in the furniture schedule. Any ideas for me to try? I did make sure that the checkbox  for "include in schedule" is checked

What Eric suggested. Prior to X12 what schedule an item appears in is determined by the symbol type not the layer-in your case that would be a fixture schedule.

The only ways around that:

1. shift select each item and make an architectural block which you can then specify which schedule it appears in. One downside is that dimension read based on the global Cartesian coordinates instead of the object so width and length can be reversed. image.thumb.png.5098d2cd6e4a1f1977c74afc596c666c.png
  2. You can create a schedule by room and specify what objects appear but you would still be selecting fixtures
  3. One at a time, select object, convert to symbol, make the type furniture. Then select another of the same, replace from library-replace identical objects on floor. This may not get them all but usually gets most.
  4. Just use a fixture schedule assuming you don't need one of those
  5. Do it manually

Personally I'd upgrade to X12 but I insist on staying current always since to me every upgrade since X8 has been worth it and I stay on SSA.

When you imported the symbols you should have specified "Furniishings, Interior".  I'm not sure what the limitations are of the Student version, but I would imagine you could get upgraded to the X12 Student version at no additional cost.  You just need to contact CA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidimm said:

Thanks, I'll try that. I am an unemployed new graduate using student software, so not sure if they will give me the upgrade. I surely can't pay for it.

Have you looked at the Home Designer Pro?  The price is reasonable... to help you get started in your new career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidimm said:

UGH! This is so frustrating. So when I convert it to a symbol, I lose all of the data I entered about fabrics, finishes and options. 

Well, good practice for real life, won't be the last time things get done more than once.

Here's a tip-

• open you spreadsheet either on second monitor or on right side of the screen,
  • lock the sheet,
  • open Chief on the other side. (Any custom fields you made in the OIP should be persistent in the plan)
  • select the new symbol in the library, open object, go to the OIP tab,
  • you can now drag and drop from your spreadsheet into the OIP filed.
  • Once you have your info in the symbols start using replace from library. (if you were in X12 you could set it up as a style palette). Should be pretty quick.
  • Like 1

The best solution is to create these symbols as actual furniture objects instead of fixture objects.  Unfortunately, just changing the layer they are on does not change the type of object you have so doing this can involve a bit of work.

In X12, you can easily put fixtures into a furniture schedule (or vice versa).  In X11, you could always just create a fixture schedule and change the schedule title to "furniture".  If you already have a fixture schedule, you may need to make sure your furniture objects are marked as some fixture type that you can exclude from the real fixture schedule. 

For questions about upgrading your student license, you should call our sales team during our normal business hours and they will be able to discuss all of your options.