Stepped (Multi-tiered) Roof Soffit

kwhitt

I have an existing house with the original set of plans.  The client wants the as-built conditions in CAD before embarking on various renovations.  I am running into problems with the roof.  The first attachment shows the wall section on the original blueprint with the roof raised 22" above the 2 x 8 ceiling joists.  This creates the necessity for a soffit with various tiers.  Here's what I am running into:

1)  I am unable to get the soffit to flush out with the bottom of the shadow board (second attachment).  I have tried lowering the frieze board which is how I have it set in the attached plan file to no avail.

2) Although I have not completed the roof (still working on the soffit), when I join two outside 90° corners, Chief creates a return wall (third and fourth attachments) at this juncture.

3) The soffit isn't even showing up on the left side of the 90° corner (fourth attachment).

Also attached is a photo of the existing house.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this.  Thanks, Kevin

2020-05-29 07.37.16.jpg

03.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

CHF_Midyette_Retreat_05-27-20.plan

2020-05-22 09.16.29.jpg

2 hours ago, solver said:

ct1.png

55 minutes ago, robdyck said:

If you actually want it accurate, the molding details below the soffit will need to be modeled using molding polylines. Very simple...time consuming and difficult, but simple!

image.png.dd09e4cb2781026db355d7f42b5e3c65.pngimage.thumb.png.ac1e4ec768a2399b2fd9fdf15996e440.png

Eric & Robert - thanks for the help.  I was able to get the soffit depth/height correct, but now have a new problem.  For some reason the frieze board is sitting behind my brick as shown in the attached.  I'm guessing I can move my baseline, but suspect that's cheating.  The roof on the upper level is working fine.  Is it a problem to have two joining roofs on different floors which is the case here?  What could be causing this?  The most recent version of the file is attached.  Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

I tried making a dbl wall for the upper wall to get it closer, but it also isn't quite right since it frames up to the plate.
Didn't have any problem with the frieze being at the surface of the brick though, even before I tried the double wall approach.

Roof Eave 1.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Make your frieze board thicker than the brick

Rob - when I do that it changes the thickness of the frieze board on the gable end too.  Also, I plan on adding roof returns which will really mess things up if I approach it this way.  Got any other ideas?  Is moving the roof baseline worth a shot?  Any idea why this is behaving this way?  Thanks again.

Kevin, did you auto-build your roof or ?  I did, and the baseline lines up with outside of the framed wall (not the brick).
I used the OOB brick 4... do you have a custom wall def ?  I have a feeling this may have to do with location of main layer in your wall def.

Roof Return: your frieze won't work properly anyways. That's why I mentioned using a molding polyline. Then you can return it into the wall. It takes 10 times longer to try to do everything using the roof tools.

image.thumb.png.2f46662b8d4821a7f78b9d3207a8c7e0.png

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

No Attic walls here. Main floor walls should Balloon through ceiling above.

image.thumb.png.99e1e3009bf4f3011bffc2bf9b95c41e.png

56 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Kevin, did Robert get you sorted out?  
Sorry, if I'd noticed you had included the plan originally my "help" might've been somewhat helpful.

Thanks Guys.  Sorry, had to step away for an hour.  Robert your solution is brilliant, however, I am finding it impossible to get the arched window back at the top.  I have tried pasting it on the first and second floors.  When I paste it on the second floor it comes in at the roof peak.  When I manually move it down, it squishes.  Do balloon walls not allow window insertions?  Kevin

51 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Guys.  Sorry, had to step away for an hour.  Robert your solution is brilliant, however, I am finding it impossible to get the arched window back at the top.  I have tried pasting it on the first and second floors.  When I paste it on the second floor it comes in at the roof peak.  When I manually move it down, it squishes.  Do balloon walls not allow window insertions?  Kevin

It didn't even move on my computer. It should be on the first floor because there shouldn't even be a room up there on the 2nd floor. Changing the MAIN FLOOR walls to 'balloon through ceiling above' should automatically delete any attic walls above them. The attic walls that don't automatically delete can and should be removed manually.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

It didn't even move on my computer. It should be on the first floor because there shouldn't even be a room up there on the 2nd floor. Changing the MAIN FLOOR walls to 'balloon through ceiling above' should automatically delete any attic walls above them. The attic walls that don't automatically delete can and should be removed manually.

Thanks again, Rob.  It's definitely there as the casings can be seen from the inside.  For some reason, it's not cutting through the wall layers.  There is definitely no attic wall above as it selects as one wall - 2nd attachment.  I'd appreciate you taking a look at this.  The latest version of the file is attached. 

I'm also have trouble joining the roof over the bay breakfast area.  Is there a way to manually join by dragging roof segments and not using the join tool.  When I use the tool made for this purpose, the converging angles change and are, therefore, not as drawn on the plan - 3rd attachment.  I'm going to continue to work on it...  I appreciate all the help.  Kevin

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 4.jpg

2020-05-29 17.03.46.jpg

24 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Is there a way to manually join by dragging roof segments and not using the join tool.

What I'm hearing is that you don't know how to make that roof, right? You're probably forgetting about these 2 roof planes:image.thumb.png.fc02c05b5cd2b108b12d4e108d6144aa.png

It's not as hard as it looks. Just put 5 roof planes in the right spot and it'll all come together. Do the 2 that I highlighted last. Look where they start...make sure the fascia top is correct.

Look where the ridge meets...they are 90 degrees from the main roof, just like a gable.

Forgot to mention those were often drawn incorrectly back in the day.

15 minutes ago, robdyck said:

What I'm hearing is that you don't know how to make that roof, right? You're probably forgetting about these 2 roof planes:image.thumb.png.fc02c05b5cd2b108b12d4e108d6144aa.png

It's not as hard as it looks. Just put 5 roof planes in the right spot and it'll all come together. Do the 2 that I highlighted last. Look where they start...make sure the fascia top is correct.

Look where the ridge meets...they are 90 degrees from the main roof, just like a gable.

Rob - that is correct.  I do not know how to get those five pieces to join.  I am aware that the upper part should form a 90° angle.  However, when I do that, the tent part of the roof is above where it should connect.  I am questioning whether or not the plans are accurate and this is a true 10:12 pitch.

Untitled 5.jpg

Untitled 6.jpg