LIVE VIEW or PLOT LINES, which one do you use?

dshall

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

For me, this is a good thing. I may need to make a change to a completed set that doesn't affect some elevation views so I don't want them to update and then have to redo the cleanup of errant lines. This is really only for lines that need to be deleted because I use CAD lines for lines that need to be added (they won't disappear after a drawing update).

Yep... couldn't agree more.  Experienced sorrow a few times before learning.  If a project lay dormant for a while you forget how much manual fixing you did on the elevations. Then it picks up and need to do a little something to the plan and not thinking about it do an update and everything done on the elevations, much or all not even effected by the change... up in smoke.

Just now, DzinEye said:

Yep... couldn't agree more.  Experienced sorrow a few times before learning.  If a project lay dormant for a while you forget how much manual fixing you did on the elevations. Then it picks up and need to do a little something to the plan and not thinking about it do an update and everything done on the elevations, much or all not even effected by the change... up in smoke.

I'd actually like a lock feature for drawings in layout so that you could lock and prevent updating for all layout boxes. 

Always live views for everything so they auto update.

Floor plans in colour so that different wall types are colour coded.

Exterior elevations colour,

Cross sections black and white for better detail.

Layouts printed as PDF for digital emailing and printing.

Cost of colour printing is not a consideration, small cost compared to the cost of the project  

8 hours ago, DavidJames said:

Another nice benefit of using Plot Lines is being able to use the Edit Linework tool.

My biggest reason for using Plot lines. CA still adds tooooooo many extraneous lines for me and I always try to edit those out in layout. My OCD I guess but I like clean layout sections. That said, CA is much better in this area than it was a few years ago. Now, if they would just put one line in section views instead of two (one on top of the other) my work would be even less to clean things up. I don't know why it is necessary to send two lines for each one in section to layout, especially when "merge lines" is selected.

44 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

You can simply turn it off.

I will have to check, but I think that cross section line is the one that works with "snaps" while the other one does not. Been a while since I explored that dilemma; maybe it is better now.

7 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I will have to check, but I think that cross section line is the one that works with "snaps" while the other one does not. Been a while since I explored that dilemma; maybe it is better now.

Cross Section Lines can be off in an Elevation View...I'm not sure they are even generated. They are really only functional in a section view AFAIK.

9 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I let my layer set control the line weights. Very little "cleanup" once it's sent to the layout page. Corner boards can be an issue, but I live with it.

Yep,  I think that is the answer,  PLOT LINES because you can control line weights whereas with LIVE VIEW the line weights cannot be control by layer set.

Nuts,  I was hoping the answer was LIVE VIEW because it seems so much faster.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the Plot Lines crowd, sharper printed lines and the Edit Lines tool win it for me.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:01 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

and they must be updated manually.

Yes, anything to do with the model itself. However, many elements of the original view, when changed, will update automatically. Text and CAD added or deleted will update live, as well as dimensions and story pole.

6 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

However, many elements of the original view, when changed, will update automatically. Text and CAD added or deleted will update live, as well as dimensions and story pole.

Yes.  This is true but it can be just as much of a bad thing as a it is a good thing since those annotation objects then might not jive with the visual display in layout.  I really don’t mind the manual updating though.  I do it one view at a time and take the opportunity to proof each page while doing so.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

The line weights are indeed controlled by the layer set in a live view.

Hi Rob,  I am not sure you are correct.....  but I am not sure I am correct.

I did a test,  sent a LIVE VIEW and a PLOT LINE VIEW to layout with super heavy line weights for a particular layer,  and in layout they were super heavy (but one was super heavier than the other),  but when I went to print to PDFS,  the LIVE VIEW was not heavy any more.

Did you test it?

The first pic is a screen shot of the LAYOUT,  

The second pic is a screen shot of the PDF.  Note there is no heavy line at the building on the left.  (BTW,  is a layer called WALL,PARAPET that has the super heavy line.

400856093_ScreenShot2020-05-29at6_17_24AM.thumb.png.b64fba73b9c4dfdbe2e2e00bdf0dab3c.png

282034666_ScreenShot2020-05-29at10_08_20AM.thumb.png.ca0ee7b516a4c3a1e6d3adca47cd3848.png

Let's take a vote,  who believes me and who believes Rob?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Well shoot, a couple of quick tests and it appears as though I'm wrong. So where does a printed Live View get its line weights from??

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Hi Rob,  I am not sure you are correct.....  but I am not sure I am correct.

I did a test,  sent a LIVE VIEW and a PLOT LINE VIEW to layout with super heavy line weights for a particular layer,  and in layout they were super heavy (but one was super heavier than the other),  but when I went to print to PDFS,  the LIVE VIEW was not heavy any more.

Did you test it?

The first pic is a screen shot of the LAYOUT,  

The second pic is a screen shot of the PDF.  Note there is no heavy line at the building on the left.  (BTW,  is a layer called WALL,PARAPET that has the super heavy line.

400856093_ScreenShot2020-05-29at6_17_24AM.thumb.png.b64fba73b9c4dfdbe2e2e00bdf0dab3c.png

282034666_ScreenShot2020-05-29at10_08_20AM.thumb.png.ca0ee7b516a4c3a1e6d3adca47cd3848.png

Scott, I know we used to be able to control line weights through the layersets, for sure did we lose this capability ? Didn't notice. 

23 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Scott, I know we used to be able to control line weights through the layersets, for sure did we lose this capability ? Didn't notice. 

Perry,  when you send to layout using LIVE VIEW your cannot control line weights via layer set.

If you send PLOT LINES with color fill,  you can control line weights with layer.

1991607972_ScreenShot2020-05-30at10_51_54AM.thumb.png.b40d00c1b6966a4fedd5d9ee387ac19b.png

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, robdyck said:

Well shoot, a couple of quick tests and it appears as though I'm wrong. So where does a printed Live View get its line weights from??

Does that mean I am the big winner?  

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Thanks Rob for verifying.

• Upvote 1