Angle Cabinet Calculation?

HumbleChief

Difficult to ask this question clearly but am working with an ACAD user who will give me cabinet designs and elevations that produce in 3D for our clients. The 2D elevations are produced at a 90 degree angle to each wall but the cabinets that create the corners cannot remain at their 2D dimensions as they are truncated at the angle in the corner, 22.5 in this case. Curious about a formula that might recreate each remaining length of cabinet after that truncation? Hope the video can clarify the question. Got to be some geometry/trig brains out their that have worked this out? Mark?

Thanks

5:12 my friend. Reduce cabinets by 10" to meet at the frame, reduce by 10.5" to meet at the doors/drawers and reduce by at least 11" if you'd like the doors and drawers to open! 

For a bay wall like you've shown, a simpler method is to know the finished wall length, and subtract 12" at each 135degree corner.

• Upvote 1

A good idea would be to give yourself some reference lines at 24" and 26" away from the drywall. In your example, you'd keep things centered, especially if there's a 135 degree corner at each end.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, robdyck said:

5:12 my friend. Reduce cabinets by 10" to meet at the frame, reduce by 10.5" to meet at the doors/drawers and reduce by at least 11" if you'd like the doors and drawers to open! 

For a bay wall like you've shown, a simpler method is to know the finished wall length, and subtract 12" at each 135degree corner.

Not sure I understand. A 24" cabinet across the back wall is reduced to approx. 14" across the front. An 18" cabinet is reduced to approx. 8". Is there a 5:12 ratio in there somewhere? When I tried a ratio of different cabinet front lengths it was not consistent across all cab dims. There's another formula I'm looking for. EDIT the answer is here, just didn't get it. Thanks

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

13 minutes ago, robdyck said:

...and that 12" gives enough breathing room for frames and doors and drawers etc.?

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

...and that 12" gives enough breathing room for frames and doors and drawers etc.?

11" is enough as long as the kids don't try to open them both at the same time!

Technically speaking it is:  x = 24"/tan(angle / 2) ;

So if your corner angle is 135; tan(135/2) = tan(67.5) = 2.4;

So inside corners walls should be reduced by 24"/2.4 = 10"... For practical purposes there is a small gap between cabinets... 10 1/2" - 11".

Lol trigonometry 101?