Many problems with these steps

DH7777

First of all, I SUCK at steps! Straight steps maybe a single landing, no problem. But this one has me very frustrated. Back story: I draw for the largest homebuilder in Tennessee. I work with Autocad primarily. Somehow I got nominated to take all our plans that were only drawn in 2d and build 3d models of them. We got chief Architect ( because I opened my big mouth and said I was learning to use it on the side) so that said I am by definition an amateur. But I am fooling most of them around here. (See interior and exterior pics of one of 50 house I get to build and furnish for renderings for marketing uses) I added to show what I have been able to accomplish. Also,I added a picture of the steps with notes of my dilemma and the actual Plan.file 2700 that is my new headache. Any suggestions or a quick fix would be helpful. 

Thanks and I hope everyone's M-Day was awesome!

step plan 2700.jpg

2700_C-A.plan

2581 H-D.jpg

living kitchen view.jpg

The problem with your railing connecting to the post on the left of your first pic can be easily remedied by going to plan view and selecting the hall railing (the the left-most rail in your pic) and dragging the diamond over the angled rail to replace that rail with the same rail definition. 

The wall joint can be fixed by nudging your under-stair closet wall about an inch into the under-stair closet space. 

The continuation of the angled stringer at the top of the stair rail is an issue that I don't think you can solve in X11 without a boat-load of special tinkering, poly-line solids,etc..  X12 would make it easier.

8 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

The problem with your railing connecting to the post on the left of your first pic can be easily remedied by going to plan view and selecting the hall railing (the the left-most rail in your pic) and dragging the diamond over the angled rail to replace that rail with the same rail definition.

@DH7777

These walls MUST be the SAME for the railing to connect. A slight difference in your pony wall elevation will disconnect them.

9 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

The continuation of the angled stringer at the top of the stair rail is an issue that I don't think you can solve in X11 without a boat-load of special tinkering, poly-line solids,etc..  X12 would make it easier.

IMO X12 doesn't really help here. Darren is using a pony wall and Chief won't allow us to control the shape of that pony wall. I think your best bet is:

• a 3d molding for the shoe and handrail
  • Not a pony wall beside the stairs...instead manually adjust the wall's polyline (so you can clip the top)
  • manually placed newels

Create a section view from both sides of the staircase. Use CAD lines for reference to be parallel to your stairs and create your 3d moldings there. Quite quick once you've got the hang of it.

If this is what your after, it has to be built manually using every trick and method know to mankind.

• 3d molding for shoe beside stair
  • 3d molding for handrail beside stair
  • copy of stair converted to symbol for spindles
  • manually adjusted wall polyline
  • manually placed newels...all of them

image.thumb.png.40369a71931fb45971803cb16beeb96a.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, robdyck said:

IMO X12 doesn't really help here.

Only thing I thought would be more helpful is the new ability to specify whether a post forms at the ends of a railing... then tell it not to form at the top of the stringer where it should level out with the floor.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robdyck said:

If this is what your after, it has to be built manually using every trick and method know to mankind.

Damn Robert, you whipped out that boat-load of special tinkering pretty quickly.  

I left this corner running into the post at angle because I didn't feel like modelling the whole darned thing. It would be a whole lot easier to extrude the rail if  the model were built on Chief's supplied grid instead of way out in the boonies! Then the x,y,z coordinate would me much more intuitive!

image.thumb.png.abcc37ee0fd3ae868cca463d7f3c7cde.pngimage.thumb.png.ae4c5ce9f52d72f7815facbfe2d9efe2.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Damn Robert, you whipped out that boat-load of special tinkering pretty quickly.  

When working with Chief, you learn to keep a miter saw, and tin-snips, and heck, even a chainsaw tucked  right under the desk for easy access. I've learned that the sledge should be kept under lock and key in a different room!

• Like 1

venting

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

vent 1

(vĕnt)
n.
1. Forceful expression or release of pent-up thoughts or feelings: give vent to one's anger.
2. An opening permitting the escape of fumes, a liquid, a gas, or steam.
3. The small hole at the breech of a gun through which the charge is ignited.
4. Zoology The excretory opening of the digestive tract in animals such as birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish.
5. Geology
a. The opening of a volcano in the earth's crust.
b. An opening on the ocean floor that emits hot water and dissolved minerals.
v. vent·ed, vent·ing, vents
v.tr.
1. To express (one's thoughts or feelings, for example), especially forcefully. See Synonyms at voice.
2. To release or discharge (steam, for example) through an opening.
3. To provide with a vent.
v.intr.
1. To vent one's feelings or opinions: Sorry to go on like that, but I just had to vent.
2. To be released or discharged through an opening.
3. To rise to the surface of water to breathe. Used of a marine mammal.

Which definition are you using, I wonder...

DJP :) 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

1. To express (one's thoughts or feelings, for example), especially forcefully.

I like that David! I'll go with the above, although honestly, any perceived force is really just thinly veiled sarcasm.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DzinEye said:

The wall joint can be fixed by nudging your under-stair closet wall about an inch into the under-stair closet space. 

I have never used the hall railing. I will play with that thanks

Just now, DH7777 said:

I have never used the hall railing. I will play with that thanks

Huh?  You must've misunderstood me.  I meant the railing type you had already used in the upstairs hall.  The last piece, (on the angled wall) was different thus it wasn't connecting. I was just telling you how to quickly make it match and get it to connect.

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

Looks good, I think you nailed it!  What'd you end up doing?

A little bit of everything. One suggestion was to use hall railing to fix the railing that did not connect. I never got to that before I rendered this but I will play with that Idea. i basically used a lot of poly solids and just positioned them where I could not make anything else work

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

Huh?  You must've misunderstood me.  I meant the railing type you had already used in the upstairs hall.  The last piece, (on the angled wall) was different thus it wasn't connecting. I was just telling you how to quickly make it match and get it to connect.

OH...I did misunderstand. My bad   

On 9/9/2017 at 6:45 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure what Eric did, but all you need to do is return the molding toward the wall.  Just drag an addition line segment and then reduce the length to something super small (.001" for example).

22 hours ago, robdyck said:

wow, this is good. I will try this technique. 

16 minutes ago, DH7777 said:

Well after ready all your posts and suggestions I worked out to this. It looks good, boss is happy! 

Living.jpg

It does look good! Well done! I like the molding under the railing shoe.