Balcony issues...

Designer1

Does anyone know how to gain more control over railings, newels and floors when it comes to balconies?  Ive labeled both the upper balcony and lower covered loggia nearly every room label for it to appear "normal" without any success.  So several of the issues Im running into are...

-Due to the plan having larger Newels and columns they jet way over the edge of the balcony and bottom floor foundation.

- The open space between floors on the balcony.

Here is a picture and the plan.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Balcony.jpg

Balcony Plan.plan

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

-Due to the plan having larger Newels and columns they jet way over the edge of the balcony and bottom floor foundation.

The outer edge of the wall width setting is also the edge of the platform/room/foundation.

Your wall width is 3-1/2" but your column is 12" so the column will hang over the edge.

Widening the wall width will pull the columns onto the floor.

Alternately, sometimes it's better to set columns manually.

- The open space between floors on the balcony.

Your Railing Wall has only one layer. This forces Chief to build the "platform" (floor structure) out to the edge of that layer, which results in having no layer to cover the floor structure.

There must be another layer to cover the edge of the platform, outside the layer you're instructing Chief to build the platform to.

Even if you place another layer in the Wall definition, it needs to be in the Exterior section so that layer can drape down over the platform area.

Try a Wall definition something like this:

770864545_ScreenShot2020-05-23at10_34_08AM.thumb.png.b033424346a953aff0eaa3bdf8ae91a7.png

This probably won't give you exactly what you want but it should get you on the path.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your help and Steve for the video.

Ryan, strange thing is I selected "deck, railing, fence" for all the railings so maybe just take Chris's advice and add a layer?  I wonder why chief doesnt add these layers into these wall/railing types already?

Chris, I will try that wall combo thanks for the explanation.  Do you find it easier just to place the newels manually or create the thicker wall and place them in the railing DBX?

Thanks for the clarification!

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Do you find it easier just to place the newels manually or create the thicker wall and place them in the railing DBX?

Totally depends on the situation. In most cases I can control everything through the dialog box enough to satisfy.

Railing walls are tricky and took me some time to wrap my brain around... and still wrapping... :P

In your particular case manual placement may work better since you might not want the railing itself inset into the room so much.

17 hours ago, solver said:

I'd use that wall type for deck railings and fences. 

Any wall type can be used as a railing, so here I've used your Stucco-6 wall used on the house, and made it 12" thick.

ct1.thumb.png.8f4ae13f22bafc61ae18547f1c28e512.png

Eric, but doesnt it show up inaccurately if you use a wall layer for a railing with too many lines in 2d or do you just custom create it so the additional lines are invisible and not shown?

15 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Totally depends on the situation. In most cases I can control everything through the dialog box enough to satisfy.

Railing walls are tricky and took me some time to wrap my brain around... and still wrapping... :P

In your particular case manual placement may work better since you might not want the railing itself inset into the room so much.

Thanks Chris, that makes sense.  I will try both out and see what seems to be best per plan.  I definitely learned more on this thread then I have in all my years using chief.  Outside balconies and occassionally interior open to below railings have been problematic so with the myriad of solutions I should be much better off.  Thanks again for your input!