Wall Hatching.... can we change the default fill... Yet?

dshall

No Sorry I don't think so Scott but it would be great wouldn't it. ?   Then we could also set a line weight default that will print.  It is a lot of work to set up beautiful hatch patterns that won't even print by default.

38 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

No Sorry I don't think so Scott but it would be great wouldn't it. ?   Then we could also set a line weight default that will print.  It is a lot of work to set up beautiful hatch patterns that won't even print by default.

yep,  it would be nice.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, dshall said:

Hi All,

Wall Hatching....  can we change the default fill...  Yet?

You can copy and paste hatch fill using the Fill Style Eyedropper and you can paste any fill style from your library onto any wall that has hatching, so you kinda can doo what you want.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, robdyck said:

You can copy and paste hatch fill using the Fill Style Eyedropper and you can paste any fill style from your library onto any wall that has hatching, so you kinda can doo what you want.

mmmm. I could not add a fill to the library.

I selected the fill but there was no ADD TO LIBRARY icon.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, robdyck said:

mmmm. I could not add a fill to the library.

I could copy a fill that was already in plan and fill eye. drop onto a wall that had an unwanted hatch pattern,  that is not too bad.

The idea of using the COPY FILL/HATCH PATTERN was good,  thanks for that.

easy enough now.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, it is simple.  Go to wall types, either modify the wall fill pattern of the existing wall or create a new wall type. I do this all the time particularly to show existing vs new walls.

MB

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dshall said:

Scott,

Open the filled object and go to the Fill Style panel.

Set up your fill the way you want.

At the very bottom of the panel, click Add To library.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Not that wall fill. The wall hatch tool is what I am sure he is talking about. Very handy tool for remodels without needed a ton of different wall types.

Correct,  thank you

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, glennw said:

Scott,

Open the filled object and go to the Fill Style panel.

Set up your fill the way you want.

At the very bottom of the panel, click Add To library.

Thanks Glenn,  That works.

But still it is a two step process instead of the one step process if we could change the default fill.

I rarely use this tool but I think it will be handy defining ONE-HOUR WALLS.  

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

For Default Floor Hatch
Go to Default Settings > Floors and Rooms > Current Floor > Fill Style >

Set the the fill how you want the default to be

If you want the Fill to be set but don't want it to autofill then set the Fill back to None once the parameters are set for the Default.

For Default Wall Hatch

You need to create a Wall Type that fits your parameters then set that Wall Type as your Default. When adding another layer to the wall, it takes all of the parameters of the layer that you are currently on

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 2:50 PM, joey_martin said:

Not that wall fill. The wall hatch tool is what I am sure he is talking about. Very handy tool for remodels without needed a ton of different wall types.

I wasn't familiar with this tool until just now. The majority of my work is remodels, especially in big condos with boxed out chases eveywhere etc. How does this tool prevent you from needing tons of wall types? Because I've got 15+ lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO you should use different wall types for your 'existing walls' I use an (E) at the end to denote this. That way you can have it on it's own layer 'Walls - Existing' and have it turned off of materials list. You can give it a neutral fill like a white. You can control the lineweight since it's on it's own layer. Then for your new walls have the fill you want, are on a different layer, can be added to materials list.... so many advantages.

Only time I use a wall hatch is when there's a window removed / infilled in an existing exterior wall and it's a pain to do otherwise.

That said, I think there are a number of these items which would be nice to have control over the default appearance. Some others are, thinking of section views + autohatch:

- Insulation hatching. Right now it's a thin black line - a fat grey partially transparent one is what I like on my sections. Right now i have to change each one.

- Footing hatching

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Insulation hatching. Right now it's a thin black line - a fat grey partially transparent one is what I like on my sections. Right now i have to change each one.

- Footing hatching

Kyle, you should submit a feature request to Chief for this. I have, but I feel like it needs more support. These types of things are a huge suck on drawing productivity.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, kylejmarsh said:

IMHO you should use different wall types for your 'existing walls' I use an (E) at the end to denote this. That way you can have it on it's own layer 'Walls - Existing' and have it turned off of materials list. You can give it a neutral fill like a white. You can control the lineweight since it's on it's own layer. Then for your new walls have the fill you want, are on a different layer, can be added to materials list.... so many advantages.

This is exactly how I've done it. White/no fill for any existing walls, on their own layer. New walls I use various different hatches available and on their own layer. This was how I learned to draw in AutoCAD and I just migrated that process over to Chief. Would be nice to have more hatch flexibility and more default patterns though, as with bigger jobs with lots of wall types, I end up using some crazy hatch patterns.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, kylejmarsh said:

That said, I think there are a number of these items which would be nice to have control over the default appearance. Some others are, thinking of section views + autohatch:

- Insulation hatching. Right now it's a thin black line - a fat grey partially transparent one is what I like on my sections. Right now i have to change each one.

- Footing hatching

I haven't had the time to learn how to use many of Chief's auto tools and I always just end up drawing my own sections in CAD. I really need to learn how to build from the ground up in Chief, foundation, framing, all of it. Feel like it would save me tons of time. 

Insulation is between the studs and wall finishes so it doesn't take up any additional space so anything other than a thin black line would make the overall wall width thicker than it is in reality. If it is understood that there are wall plates present at all times, just change the Main Layer of the Wall Type to your Insulation Hatch (possibly show stud locations so it is visible that the Top Wall Plate is not shown)

OR

While in Wall Type, use Insert Above or Insert Below and set a new layer for the Insulation and remove the thickness of the Insulation from the wall finish layer so the overall width will still be correct

See Attachment: Interior wall finish is 3/4" in reality

Wall Types.png

46 minutes ago, BWoods said:

I really need to learn how to build from the ground up in Chief

Yes you do. Here is a page of details all from the model. Live camera views, labeled from my library and sent directly to layout. Very little if any CAD other than the earth and stone fill.

image.thumb.png.f34120e9a0938433e927a52b8be0a7d6.png

3 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Yes you do. Here is a page of details all from the model. Live camera views, labeled from my library and sent directly to layout. Very little if any CAD other than the earth and stone fill.

image.thumb.png.f34120e9a0938433e927a52b8be0a7d6.png

Live camera views, how much of a frame drop does that cause you? Just curious. 

Part of my issue is I'm also only 2 years into the industry and don't entirely understand how everything is actually built in the field, which makes learning how to build in chief more to learn. Is there a good, recent tutorial on how to build from the ground up? I've checked some out in the past 1.5 years but a lot of what I find is old and when I try to follow them, they tell me to do something in a dialog box thats been moved to another location or removed entirely. 

Just now, joey_martin said:

What is that?

lag, stuttering when you switch pages, just a lack of smoothness in the program is really what I mean. Frame drop probably not the best term in this instance, more so applies to video games etc. 

3 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Construction company want ads.

You need an understanding of construction to able to design and create plans.

Yea I used to work for a drafting company that designed custom homes. I learned a lot from them in a year but was out of work for a month before coming to my current job. Current job is a contractor that mostly does kit and bath remodels so I honestly don't even do much structural stuff. Nobody at this company has anywhere near the construction knowledge of my previous job, kinda bummed on that.

edit: on that, I do have a basic understanding of structural related knowledge, but it's so infrequently used I tend to have to look up what I need to know every time from an older set of plans thats been engineered. 

Edited by BWoods
added more info