dialog text became microscopically small (!)

jmnewton

I've been using Chief for many years but yesterday ran into something I'd never seen. The text in all the dialog boxes became very very small so I can't read anything. The challenge is that when I click on something like "edit preferences" I can read everything fine on the left column of topics, but the right dialog and check boxes etc are very tiny so I can't read the text. Has anyone else experienced this before? 

I don't believe Chief allows you to change this and we should display the text according to your system settings.  So it is unlikely that a program reinstall is necessary but a reboot may solve the problem if your computer is in a bad state.  I would first check your system Display Settings and then try a reboot.  If that still doesn't solve your problem, then you might want to try the reinstall since that apparently solved the other person's problem.

If all else fails, you can also contact our technical support department during normal business hours.

windows display settings.png

Here's a screengrab that shows it. So far, it's only Chief where I notice this. I was using X11 but decided maybe it was time to install X12 :) So I did that a few minutes ago and don't have the tiny text issue, but I still will see if I can solve that issue in my X11 install...

tiny text.jpg

12 hours ago, jmnewton said:

Here's a screengrab that shows it. So far, it's only Chief where I notice this. I was using X11 but decided maybe it was time to install X12 :) So I did that a few minutes ago and don't have the tiny text issue, but I still will see if I can solve that issue in my X11 install...

tiny text.jpg

Run a Repair from the Control Panel>Programs DBX  as my guess is there is a corrupt Qt, Registry entry or . INI File somewhere since the RH side of Dialog boxes is Hardcoded it seems to 8pt Text.  The LH side does accept Scaling and the Windows Font Sizing/scaling as mentioned above.....

image.thumb.png.50dc5314fca19555f5947e566df95502.png

I ended up installing X12 but had a different issue with the fonts not looking good, but it was readable. I Googled how to change the windows default font and it ended up fixing this problem in Chief X11 and the other problem in X12. https://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-10/how-to-change-the-default-font-in-windows-10/

I don't know how the default Windows font got corrupted in the first place, but it's good that the problem was solved (though I have to say, editing the registry like that in 2020 seems antiquated (ie. why isn't there some direct way in Windows 10 control panel to just click the font you want....)

10 hours ago, jmnewton said:

I ended up installing X12 but had a different issue with the fonts not looking good, but it was readable. I Googled how to change the windows default font and it ended up fixing this problem in Chief X11 and the other problem in X12. https://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-10/how-to-change-the-default-font-in-windows-10/

I don't know how the default Windows font got corrupted in the first place, but it's good that the problem was solved (though I have to say, editing the registry like that in 2020 seems antiquated (ie. why isn't there some direct way in Windows 10 control panel to just click the font you want....)

I've been using Advanced System Font Changer since moving to Windows 10 

and TenForums also has a good series of tutorials since things changed a lot in Win10 compared to earlier versions of windows.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/112263-change-text-size-windows-10-a.html

M.