Occasional Symbol Selection Issue

HumbleChief

Yes Larry, I have had similar experiences like that. Even today after placing several area lights in my plan I could not select them by just clicking on them, had to do as you were doing by dragging a selection box over the area light symbol to get it selected. Strange as the light source layer is active and not locked and tabbing did not work either.

This behavior is common when toggling between different plan views. Chief gets bunged up and can't remember what plan view is being used for what, and then starts to apply the settings from one plan view to another. To resolve that issue: from the project browser, just double click the plan view you wish to use, even if its already open, and that will reset it.

Chief has other issues with plan views holding their settings. I'm sure other users have noticed that a plan view may 'jump' to a different default setting when something is imported into the plan using a layer that might not be on in that view. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, robdyck said:

To resolve that issue: from the project browser, just double click the plan view you wish to use, even if its already open, and that will reset it.

What?!!... jeesh.  I've always resorted to restarting my computer.  Glad to know there's an easier way.

32 minutes ago, robdyck said:

This behavior is common when toggling between different plan views. Chief gets bunged up and can't remember what plan view is being used for what, and then starts to apply the settings from one plan view to another. To resolve that issue: from the project browser, just double click the plan view you wish to use, even if its already open, and that will reset it.

Chief has other issues with plan views holding their settings. I'm sure other users have noticed that a plan view may 'jump' to a different default setting when something is imported into the plan using a layer that might not be on in that view. 

Thanks for the tip.

This same thing happens to me also, Larry. Like you, I can't reproduce it and don't know what causes it. When it happens it usually won't allow me to select certain objects but will select objects, like roof planes, that are on an "off" layer. Strange, but happens. I have been closing and restarting also but will try Robert's "fix" next time.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I'll try that as well next time. THANKS

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Yes Larry, I have had similar experiences like that. Even today after placing several area lights in my plan I could not select them by just clicking on them, had to do as you were doing by dragging a selection box over the area light symbol to get it selected. Strange as the light source layer is active and not locked and tabbing did not work either.

Yeah those are notorious in my plan sets as well.