Plan file suddenly empty

SteveNovato

I have had this issue twice in one month. I believe both have occurred basically under the same circumstances, and both using X12. I have a layout and plan file open. As I try to print to pdf (in Chief) I get 20-ish notifications that the items in layout can not be located. After 'clicking' all of these I find that the layout is intact, except for all of the referenced views that have disappeared. The plan file still has the same name. Instead of the usual 12,000 kb file, it is 198 kb and is empty. I try all layers on, center plan, etc., Nothing. The second time was much easier to grab the last saved file and re-link all of the views to the layout. The first time it happened all I did was learn a few new @%$!! words. 

Has anyone had an issue similar to mine? As always, I figured it was user error. Now I do not think that is the case. I do check the recycle bin and the original file is not there. Is there a button or command that can make the file stay, but delete everything in the file? I have done this same scenario a hundred times and everything works as expected. I can't attach the empty file as I had to save the backup to the original name so all the views would still be tied to the layout.

Thanks for any help...and listening to me vent!

Steve

3 minutes ago, SteveNovato said:

Thanks for the replies. I will call tech support tomorrow.

Also, no directory changes. 

I can understand a 'crash', but not everything gone from the file but the name???

Nothing in the ARCHIVE Folder either?  no Auto-Save File available?

Similar thing happened to me last week.

Opened a plan and a layout, all the links were broken for no reason. Had 20+ dialogs telling me files not found, then the layout was mostly blank. I closed the plan and layout without saving changes, quit and relaunched Chief, opened back up and all was restored. 

Please report back what you find out from tech.

Just got off the phone with Chief Tech Support. The most likely culprit is that I use files shared on OneDrive (cloud). If the hard drive and cloud are fighting for the same file, one will arbitrarily get a blank temporary file. As this has not happened to a others, the Chief program and operating systems have been ruled out as a cause.

1 hour ago, SteveNovato said:

Just got off the phone with Chief Tech Support. The most likely culprit is that I use files shared on OneDrive (cloud). If the hard drive and cloud are fighting for the same file, one will arbitrarily get a blank temporary file. As this has not happened to a others, the Chief program and operating systems have been ruled out as a cause.

Perhaps try pausing OneDrive while you Work or at least when you go to Print as Chief automatically updates ALL views in a Layout when it is about to Print.

M.