New iMac Specifications

Gregg_Design

I have an iMac 2017. I am have been working it hard lately with CA. I am considering an Upgrade to an iMac Pro (2019), with upgraded graphics and processing (14-Core). Anyone out there using a new iMac Pro that demonstrates faster renderings and speeds. Don't want to buy if not a noticeable improvement. Large files (many objects) taking up to 5-6 seconds to render 3D, let along ray tracing which of course takes longer.  Any advice on spec's or suggestions would be helpful.

Kirk Gregg

Gregg-Design

My iMac is a year older than yours and I keep getting fuzzy renderings, especially with detailed materials. It also now takes forever to ray trace so I definitely feel your pain! Haha I do also have a 2019 MacBook Pro and the difference in rendering is night and day. But it's also a pain to switch back and forth between the two computers just to render stuff. I hope someone on here does have the new iMac Pro, because I am also very interested in hearing what they have to say!

On 5/17/2020 at 9:46 AM, Gregg_Design said:

I have an iMac 2017. I am have been working it hard lately with CA. I am considering an Upgrade to an iMac Pro (2019), with upgraded graphics and processing (14-Core). Anyone out there using a new iMac Pro that demonstrates faster renderings and speeds. Don't want to buy if not a noticeable improvement. Large files (many objects) taking up to 5-6 seconds to render 3D, let along ray tracing which of course takes longer.  Any advice on spec's or suggestions would be helpful.

Kirk Gregg

Gregg-Design

I have a 2017 Mac.  Before I bought it,  I went down to the apple store.  I took a current big plan that was slow on my earlier IMAC..  I had to buy both a new  IMAC and a new PRO.  I tested them both in the store using the same plan.  I found no speed difference between the two machines using the CA file I was testing.

I returned the PRO and bought the 2017 IMAC.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, Gregg_Design said:

Kirk Gregg

Gregg-Design

Hey Kirk, I have a 13" MacBook Pro (2017) and am thinking about upgrading my desktop.  I'd rather not spend the money on the iMacPro. What did you go with?  Thanks for your recommendation. Galeana, The Galeana Group

• 2 weeks later...