Polyline Label...Again

Michael_Gia

I often use Standard Polylines and add a shade fills to identify different lots in a development.  I use the shading colours to group lots and I Specify a Label which I would love to have the text match the Polyline line color and shaded fill.  My Polyline Label also includes stuff like square footage area, lot number, owner etc... and it would be nice to have all of this info color matched to the line and fill color so that the grouping is easily identifiable.

Problem is, presently if I select a Polyline and open the Object Layer Properties there are only 2 associated layers that show up.  The 1st is the Cad Layer the polyline resides on and the other is the "Polyline, Labels" layer. (this seems to be a hardwired polyline global layer which controls all text associated with any and all polylines you draw.  

You all know the problem is that if you change the Text Style associated with the "Polyline, Label" then you change ALL of your polyline labels, and there is no associating different "Polyline, Label" layers for multiple Polylines in your Plan, unfortunately...as far as I know.

Most have suggested macros with arrows pointing to a polyline but this becomes erratic with lines becoming disconnected at random and never really knowing for sure that you have everything always labeled properly.  

Is there any other solution with X12?

this is a portion of what can be quite a large area. 

1731126978_Screenshot2020-05-1412_09_59.thumb.png.307fd8382d4ef8473163ffd255ac95f6.png

In this project that would mean approximately 75 plans referencing one master plan just to have control over polyline label, text colour and size.  Seems extreme.

thanks, at least I know this is still an issue and I'm not just missing something obvious. half the battle sometimes.

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

In this project that would mean approximately 75 plans referencing one master plan just to have control over polyline label, text colour and size.  Seems extreme.

thanks, at least I know this is still an issue and I'm not just missing something obvious. half the battle sometimes.

Only 5 would be needed from the example you posted, one for each color. If you indeed have 75 different colors or 'types' of polylines, then yeah, saved plan views would be cumbersome. In which case, I'd use a macro.

Thanks, I'll use a macro with a "text leader line", I suppose.  It's what I've been doing was just hoping for a less messy solution.

Unless there is a way to simply insert a text box in the middle of a polyline and have a macro reference the polyline?  That is, not require a "leader line" to point to anything. 

Here are 2 polylines, both have macros which I can control the color and size of text within the text dialogue box, nice and easy, no need to mess with layers etc...

The leaderline has a white color to make it disappear.  I keep the arrow coloured so I can find it should it become disconnected.

687694857_Screenshot2020-05-1421_42_04.thumb.png.e764ceee36fd84e6653aee0a9261abbb.png

14 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Unless there is a way to simply insert a text box in the middle of a polyline and have a macro reference the polyline?  That is, not require a "leader line" to point to anything. 

Can you be a little more specific with what you're drawing?  If you could possibly draw those polylines with walls for example, then you could just place a text box in the resulting rooms and they would work exactly like you're requesting.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:38 PM, Michael_Gia said:

The leaderline has a white color to make it disappear.  I keep the arrow coloured so I can find it should it become disconnected.

If you change the background color to a light gray then you'll be able to see your white arrows quite nicely, especially if they have a fairly heavy line weight. Then you can use an arrow type without fill or change the fill to white and it won't show when printed.

I used to use this type of system for site plans and went away from it because sooner or later it leads to mistakes that are hard to notice. If you need to relocate a polyline, its difficult to check that the arrow remained connected and didn't attach to something else, especially seeing as you have at least 75 of these polylines. Thats a heck of a lot more cumbersome to double check that than setting up a foolproof system that uses the labels.