Is there a way to have different versions of a plan in the same file?

zcohen

Hello,

I've been using Chief Architect to teach high school students in an architecture class recently through video due to COVID-19 and have been having one hang up which would make things a lot easier.

Is there a way in the same file to have different versions of something? Kind of like different ideas that would be presented to a client? So for instance I have a house, and I either have a patio or a ground level deck in the back yard. Right now the only way I've figured out how to do this kind of thing is have different file types which has been a struggle. So is there a way to have different versions of something in the same file? Where You can hide and then unhide whole groups of something to be able to quickly compare?

Thank you for your help!

That has to be done with separate plans using save as. There are two ways to use those to get what you want. Most common would be to link each plan to different pages on a single layout. The other way is to use reference display set to show the second plan. Combine that with a plan view to show alternate options with a click. NOTE that both plans need to be open to set this up and make it work. Quick example here.

1114027380_Twoplanviews.thumb.png.e39b0b16dfc312853cfb9f8bfdd3264d.png

It will also work in 3D views though that gets a little trickier and doesn't save the reference display as readily.

image.thumb.png.e1bbfee437fc08306ee746f4d3703eca.png

I more often use that to show the relationship of an addition.

image.thumb.png.51456b9f22c1b04a5395ec0959584b80.png

Sent you a PM about showing this live for you or the class.

• Upvote 1

In some cases you might be able to do this just by placing things on different layers and switching Layer Sets.  It really depends on what the objects are.  If it only involves site features that could work easily.  However, if there are differences in the structure (walls, roofs, etc) then separate plans is the best alternative.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your help. This is my first post to the Chief Architect forum and I'm extremely impressed and humbled by the help people are giving. I really do appreciate it.

I have a few ideas from what you have suggested and will be playing around with them to see how best to teach my students.

Its a kinda weird situation we're in with COVID. We use Autodesk Revit at our school since Autodesk gives everything to schools for free. While Revit is far too advanced for what we're doing and really not the right program for our classes, we struggle through it since the school system cant really justify paying for something like Chief Architect when Revit is free. With going to online learning where many of my students dont have access to devices where they could run CAD software, I reached out to Chief Architect when they said they're giving students whose institutions use the program free access until June to see if they would give it to me as well. They have, and its made teaching significantly better. While my students dont have devices, I use Chief Architect to record videos of the topics covered since its so much easier to use than Revit and visually is easier for them to understand then have my students do the corresponding assignments on pencil and paper to turn in virtually. This software has totally changed how I'm able to reach my students, allowing me to go further in depth of topics that simply would be too complex to cover in one semester while also trying to help my students through Revit. While we're certainly missing a lot by switching to online classes, this semester of students also have a much better foundation in architectural design exclusively because of this program.

My only fear is when we finally go back that I'll have to go back to Revit. This software, and now as I'm learning this community, is so incredible!

• Upvote 1

A few thoughts:

I use the method of multiple plans linked to a layout instead of reference sets unless it is only a single slight option. Using the multiple plans to layout you send the first to layout, then in the project browser duplicate the page, open the layout boxes one at a time on the copied page and change the referenced plan, all very fast. The advantages are you can include elevations and/or 3D along as well as the plan and it prints. When it comes to finals just delete the unwanted pages in project browser.

You're student could get a trial version. You can't print but may be able to take screen shots (though I whole hardheartedly believe in learning to work with pencil and paper :)

I've had clients that don't have enough seats for everyone to use. Folks who don't need as much access to the program can download the free viewer. Link here They can't make changes but I think they can add notes? don't remember as has been a while and have CRS.

I have pointed them to the free trial and some have played with it. Due to the various inequalities in our area some of my students have great custom built machines that can run anything while others are using chromebooks lent to them or just a smart phone to be able to do all of their work for all classes. Due to this we're not able to require any software use in the classes while we're doing distance learning just because so many students don't have access to the tech needed. That's why everything has been paper based with them watching lessons I record using presentations and Chief Architect.