Ducts in PBR have no color

Fotis1960

8 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Looks like the duct material has been set to be emissive, if so set it to zero, non emissive.

I don't have that option, or at least I cant find it in the Define Materials.

17 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Your duct is picking up other environment light. maybe protruding through an exterior surface. haven't downloaded the plan yet. EDIT: or what he said ^

Rene, if you have some time you should take a look at this one. Yes turning the sun off resolves the problem but if you look at the duct none of it is outside of the room. I've played with it and it's a bit strange, the main run of duct is a molding polyline with a repeated 3D molding. Just out of interest I converted this to a symbol and placed it back into the plan and it renders correctly when the sun is on.  The original molding for the duct is a 3 D molding with a repeat, what's interesting is it only happens on this type of molding, if I use a regular molding then all is ok. Something does not seem right when using a repeatable 3D molding.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Rene, if you have some time you should take a look at this one. Yes turning the sun off resolves the problem but if you look at the duct none of it is outside of the room. I've played with it and it's a bit strange, the main run of duct is a molding polyline with a repeated 3D molding. Just out of interest I converted this to a symbol and placed it back into the plan and it renders correctly when the sun is on.  The original molding for the duct is a 3 D molding with a repeat, what's interesting is it only happens on this type of molding, if I use a regular molding then all is ok. Something does not seem right when using a repeatable 3D molding.

Nice sleuthing!  It would sure be awesome if there were a routine that could be run to help identify whatever anomalies cause these lighting glitches in PBR's...   they constantly haunt me.

6 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just out of interest I converted this to a symbol and placed it back into the plan and it renders correctly when the sun is on.  The original molding for the duct is a 3 D molding with a repeat, what's interesting is it only happens on this type of molding, if I use a regular molding then all is ok. Something does not seem right when using a repeatable 3D molding.

I played around with this for a bit and had a pretty decent result. I should've saved the plan. A few things I changed:

• more realistic backdrop (better daytime lighting)
  • sun - light gray color, 1500, follows camera
  • a galvanized steel texture to the duct molding, different material to the 'parts'. Edit both materials differently to look similar
  • stamped 90 degree corners for the spiral ducting
  • turned off half the recessed lights, created a light set, saved the camera.
  • 6 added lights for ambient light at a lower elevation, does not cast shadows
  • adjusted lights to 200, drop off of 5,
  • lighting white material emissive = 2, transparecny 0 (you can't see into a recessed led light)
  • PBR camera exposure = .35, brightness = 20 to 40

This makes for a good start at a decent PBR.