Minimum Steps for Layouts

BeachHouse1

When using Layout Templates, is it possible to synchronize a Layout Template with a Model (Plan) Template so that every Layout view is already connected to the appropriate portion of the model to be displayed.  

In other words, as a Model is created,  The Layout will automatically display the correct layout on the correct sheet.  Example the Second floor plan would automatically show up in the A2 Sheet .

Yes.  This is how many many Chiefers set up their templates.  The basic idea is that you have a plan template with all the views for that plan already sent to your layout template.  Those templates are saved as templates with all that work having already been done.  When you start a new plan and layout (using those templates), you simply re-link your layout to the new plan. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  This is how many many Chiefers set up their templates.  The basic idea is that you have a plan template with all the views for that plan already sent to your layout template.  Those templates are saved as templates with all that work having already been done.  When you start a new plan and layout (using those templates), you simply re-link your layout to the new plan. 

Thank you, Sir

10 minutes ago, javatom said:

The users here generally call that the "save as method".  It can be a good way to do a project if you have it set up right.

I think there's a very important distinction to be made that separates the normal Template method from the Save As method and it applies not only to Chief but to many other programs as well...

In a normal Template method, a person sets up a file so that it has all the various settings they might want for a given purpose and to include any elements that they might want in all future files.  In a Word document for example this might include a specific font and font size, there might be a specific header, a letterhead, a specific footer, a date, a signature line, etc.  In an Excel file this might include some specifics rows and columns, some specific numbering formats, a header, a footer, etc.  In Chief, this would typically include some specific default settings, some specific Plan Views and Layer Sets, some commonly used CAD Details, some pre-set cameras, maybe some pre-populated CAD work and annotation objects, and maybe even a handful of 3D objects that are typically used with every project.  The files are specifically saved and managed as template files and new files are created using those aforementioned templates.

With the Save As method, a person simply uses an existing project and changes the name.  Typically, any unwanted elements are deleted, changes are made to settings as desired, and new elements are added.  The big difference and inherent problem with the Save As method is that any and all settings and elements are always carried forward to the next project regardless of whether or not they really should be.  This is great if all the changes were good, but this is rarely the case, and the Save As method can very easily result in the carry-forward of unwanted elements and faulty settings, file bloat, and even bugs. 

My suggestion for most people and most situations is to use the normal Template method.  I tell people to keep a notepad handy and as you're working on any given project, make a note of any setting you might want to change in your template file to make future projects easier.  Make a note if you see a layer you want added, make a note if you see a Plan View you want to get rid of, etc. etc.  At the end of the day, week, or month, go in and make all those changes.  This way your changes are carefully considered and only added when appropriate.  Your template files will be much cleaner this way, will result in only the changes you made deliberately, and are far less prone to file bloat.

Chief even gives us a handy tool to use an existing project to create a Template if you want and it's somewhat of a hybrid approach, but make no mistake, even though you're using an existing file to create a new template.  It's still not the same as the Save-As method. 

At the end of the day, I actually use both the normal Template method and the Save-As method depending on the platform I'm using and on exactly what I'm doing, but the Save-As method has a much higher potential for problems. 

Thanks Guys for the heads up,

It seems like you could just always go back to the same Save-as, and not make changes to it unless they were beneficial in a global sort of way.  Does that sound right?

What I want to avoid is having to send every aspect of a model out to the plans.  I would expect to be required to resize the portals, but I would want to have a set of drawing immediately upon completing the model. Am i understanding that as the  "Save As' process, compared to the template?

I apologize for not being able to do my own experimenting but I can't save.  This issue is my last impediment to purchasing and it's a rather large Issue.  I have been evolving my sheets templates for 20 years now.  They are to the point that if I build a model in the same location, as the last one, all the sheets are 98% finished.  Is that possible?

I use TEMPLATE methods. My plan and layout templates are set up to handle 90% of the homes I am generally asked to design. I open Chief, click NEW PLAN and simply save it with a client name and have at it. I like the nice, clean, blank templates to work from, though, I do have general notes and various schedules already populated and ready to go.

23 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

...... The big difference and inherent problem with the Save As method is that any and all settings and elements are always carried forward to the next project regardless of whether or not they really should be.  This is great if all the changes were good, but this is rarely the case, and the Save As method can very easily result in the carry-forward of unwanted elements and faulty settings, file bloat, and even bugs. ........

First let me say there are very few folks that have anywhere as much knowledge has when it come to CA.  

I have been using the SAM for 15 years.  In fact I have been using the same template that was set up 15 years ago.  I keep meaning to start over but I have not.  

The setting are always carried forward,  it is very easy and quick to change any default settings, something that you would need to do with the template anyway.

There maybe some unwanted elements carried for,  I delete them.  File bloat,  not sure,  if so,  not sure if that has slowed me up.  Bugs,  I am not sure,  I haven't found any.

The big advantage and Michael touched on it. (" make a note of any setting you might want to change in your template file to make future projects easier."),  I do not need to do that.  With the latest ref sets abilities,  I have been again changing the way I do things.  My SAM template is always evolving without needing to go back to the template.

Different strokes,  Michaels method is probably more fail safe.  The SAM has worked for me.

I am not sure if anybody else uses the SAM.  Whatever method,  do not set up multiple templates,  one will suffice.

• Upvote 1