Wall board size settings

DianeP

Me Again!!!  Another question because you folks are so very helpful.  My client would like to use 4x12' instead of 4x8' sheets of drywall.  Is there a way to change this in the defaults so that Chief Architect would calculate this size for the materials list?

10 hours ago, DianeP said:

Me Again!!!  Another question because you folks are so very helpful.  My client would like to use 4x12' instead of 4x8' sheets of drywall.  Is there a way to change this in the defaults so that Chief Architect would calculate this size for the materials list?

I'd suggest 1 of 2 quick options:

1. edit the existing material: 3D / materials / plan materials / select your drywall material / edit / materials list / materials list calculation / width: 144"
  2. replace the existing material: 3D / materials / plan materials / select your drywall material / replace / choose the drywall material that Eric pointed out.

• Like 1

Paint Tool = BAD

Wall Definition = GOOD

I, personally, try to avoid the paint tool unless absolutely needed. It simply changes the way something "looks" without giving you the true material definition you need, especially if you are using the materials list.

• Like 4

Thanks so much, you have solved this problem for me. As suggested, I went into the wall type dbx and selected the drywall in the wall layers.  I was able to change it to the 4x12' version, easy peasy.  Never knew this was an option.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 6:27 AM, joey_martin said:

I, personally, try to avoid the paint tool unless absolutely needed. It simply changes the way something "looks" without giving you the true material definition you need, especially if you are using the materials list.

I agree and also recommend avoiding the paint tool on walls unless its absolutely necessary.  Just to clarify though, I believe walls are the only object that behaves that way with the material painter.  For all other objects and materials, using the material painter is perfectly safe and effectively changes that material just as well as any other method. 

Walls are just unique due to the fact they can get material directives from multiple places (a very handy feature, but also one that occasionally trips up the unaware) and the only one of those material settings that affects the materials list is the Wall Type definition.  This can also trip up the unaware though.  If you change your Wall Type definition it will also affect every other wall using that Wall Type.  For this reason it's important to set up additional wall definitions when appropriate. 

Michael,

I think you'll find that not only Walls; but Roofs, Material Regions, Backsplashes, Floors and Ceilings should also not be modified by the Paint Tool.  All of these elements are made up of material Layers and could give incorrect Material List results if "Painted".

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Michael,

I think you'll find that not only Walls; but Roofs, Material Regions, Backsplashes, Floors and Ceilings should also not be modified by the Paint Tool.  All of these elements are made up of material Layers and could give incorrect Material List results if "Painted". 

Using the material painter on all of those objects changes the material settings exactly the same as it would if you were to open the object and change via the Material tab.  The main difference is that a person could potentially use the Blend Colors With Materials tool, but it still changes the material being reported.

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I agree and also recommend avoiding the paint tool on walls unless its absolutely necessary.  Just to clarify though, I believe walls are the only object that behaves that way with the material painter.  For all other objects and materials, using the material painter is perfectly safe and effectively changes that material just as well as any other method. 

Walls are just unique due to the fact they can get material directives from multiple places (a very handy feature, but also one that occasionally trips up the unaware) and the only one of those material settings that affects the materials list is the Wall Type definition.  This can also trip up the unaware though.  If you change your Wall Type definition it will also affect every other wall using that Wall Type.  For this reason it's important to set up additional wall definitions when appropriate. 

Of course that would be for both sides of the wall with the siding layer as well.  Curious and haven't messed around with this but doesn't roofing work the same way too?  (effectively the same type of deal as the wall.)