One Hip Roof Plane over 2 Rooms with different ceiling heights

adamwillis

Attached I have a structure I have drawn.  It is a poolside shelter.  There are 2 rooms.  One with 9' ceilings and the other (bigger one) with lower ceilings.  The bigger "room" has beams the define 3 of the walls.  When I build a roof, CA "sees" 2 different ceiling heights and I get 2 different roof planes.  I noticed that it also plows the rafters right through the beam, so I am thinking CA does not see the beam as a top plate, so to speak.

What I want is a simple hip roof over this thing, but I have to overcome this problem first.

Thanks for the help.

Pool House v4.plan

If you don’t make a room like Eric is talking about, which will allow Chief to auto build the roof, then you will have to manually draw the roof and set the heights.

The way you are drawing it is manual instead of telling Chief what you want and allowing it to build the project.  Chief allows manual work to be done but it’s best if you use the manual roofs and posts beams in connection with the auto features.  Build a room with invisible railings or room dividers and then try to auto build the roofs.

Thanks all.  I decided to fool CA.  I changed the ceiling height and did not auto-rebuild all the framing.  Then I added the auto roof.  Problem is, if I make any other changes and auto-rebuild the framing, Ive lost.

@rgardner, I would like to understand you better.  I already built the room using invisible walls.  Are you saying that if I had used invisible railing or dividers instead of the invisible wall, I could have made this happen?  I wish you were in my IT department.  I could simply share my screen and let you show me.

Thanks in advance.

Like this?image.thumb.png.8a6ace7cf961be8e8e09ec07d8fa336a.png

You really should designate rooms before you get to the roof building portion though.... Just a friendly tip.

As far as getting the roof to autobuild, It is just a matter of telling the program you want a lowered ceiling in that lowered area.  Try reading up on shelf ceilings.  One click and fixed.