PBR in each room

mtldesigns

Chiefer's,

I have seen so many comments and ideas on how to make PBR a better tool.  I know when we first got it (9 or 10??), it took a little bit to understand.  But it seems now I need a college degree in video graphics and lighting to make this work.  Is there a better way to do this?  I have a client who wants walk through's, showing shadows, textures, etc. for marketing (and believe me these are not fun).  When I do these walk through vids using PBR, every time I go into a room, everything is off.  I have to pause and adjust material definitions to get any sense of worth.  Is there something I can do that it would be a smooth transition? I have my lights set at 200, and all are on.  My vid card shouldn't be an issue either.  Stumped here.    

I uploaded  a quick test video showing my concerns.   

PART II of my gripe,

Sorry I am venting here.

Why in a BPR mode do I need to have it night time to get any descent results.  I have read through so many of the post, some are pages and pages of info.. a lot of it confusing too.  Where can I go to in the knowledge base to find simple instructions?  Do I really need to adjust lums, sun angle, etc., etc. in every view?

Try searching "physical based rendering" in Chiefs Knowledge Base.  Nothing, maybe at least refer to a page or link of the experts on here??

I love Rabbits, and Kitchen (Graham's) stuff.  How do I get there without cussing?  :-)  I think I need a break, heading to the beach!

42920 ENTRY 1.jpg

42920 ENTRY 1 DAYLIGHT.jpg

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

I have a client who wants walk through's, showing shadows, textures, etc. for marketing (and believe me these are not fun). 

Why not develop your model and then outsource the videos and / or imaging? It is a completely different skill set and if you've got other work to do...Outsource it and charge a markup for providing it. Otherwise, IMO, plug away at it and watch your hourly earnings plummet.

Or invest the time and money to get some training because I've been there and it's not a fun process trying to learn these things by trial and error. Plus, to produce a professional looking walkthrough will also require post-production using different software...which you may or may not have the software / knowledge.

I've given up trying to master everything...outsource that junk and spend more time at the beach!

I don't experience any problems with lighting changing between rooms with a PBR walkthrough.

Would provide an example but don't know how to upload(attach) a vid. Tried using the "choose file" but it keeps telling me "this type of video file is not supported". Tried with both .WMV & .AVI.  and the vids are only 3.2MB. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I don't experience any problems with lighting changing between rooms with a PBR walkthrough.

Would provide an example but don't know how to upload(attach) a vid. Tried using the "choose file" but it keeps telling me "this type of video file is not supported". Tried with both .WMV & .AVI.  and the vids are only 3.2MB. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I'd try the opposite of whatever you tried...if you used the "choose files" tool and it didn't work, then try dragging the file instead. Or vice versa. I've experienced the same behavior once or twice.

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

I'd try the opposite of whatever you tried...if you used the "choose files" tool and it didn't work, then try dragging the file instead. Or vice versa. I've experienced the same behavior once or twice.

Thanks Robert. I did try that but will try a few more times, maybe just a glitch, hopefully not a virus.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zip the File......the Forum allows Zips but may not allow .avi or .wmv maybe? same as you can't post a .exe , zipping gets it past that....

M.

Would provide an example but don't know how to upload(attach) a vid. Tried using the "choose file" but it keeps telling me "this type of video file is not supported". Tried with both .WMV & .AVI.  and the vids are only 3.2MB. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe set it up on YouTube and then post the link 

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It does!

Thanks, I'm not certain why but to get it to attach I had to first upload using choose file. Then click on the thumb below, it inserts as a big dark blank vid window, then click the "link" icon, choose insert into post, this inserted the text link and then delete the big dark blank vid window. Something I'm doing must be wrong. Well at least it worked. Thanks everyone!!!

Back to the original subject. As this little vid demonstrates the lights do not go on and off as the camera moves between rooms. Suspect the original OP's did because the walkthrough camera was not likely set to use all of the lights. Can be a bit confusing as the walkthrough camera gets it's setting from several different dialogs, the default sun setting, the default 3D Rendering settings for PBR, the default Full Camera view settings and the settings dialog when you activate the record walkthrough. They really should just add a separate walkthrough camera DBX so we could set everything related to the walkthrough in just one place.

• Like 1

Thanks Robert and Graham.  

Beach life is better than work life, even though it was real windy and water was choppy.  Still something about that Vitamin D....  heals all kinds of things!

Outsourcing I don't think will work, even though that sounds wonderful.  The builders are cutting cost too, and do their research. They see the ads for Chief and look for us, me, to get realistic renders for their marketing. I would love to learn this, instead of plugging away and like you said Robert, and watch that money go down the drain.  I charge by the job, so added hours equals less money.  Its not terribly busy right now, even though spring is typically overwhelming.  I will do some research on this, but any advice to point me in a direction of learning more would be great.  Suggestions of add-on's too.  I'm smart in the 3D world, just need to learn key terms and setting on the rendering part.  My goal is to get Rabbits and Graham, and others quality without having to add a lot more cost to my clients.  This would be great for the pictures.

The walk through are a different story though.  I love this idea.  

18 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

They really should just add a separate walkthrough camera DBX so we could set everything related to the walk through in just one place.

What's that texture on your walls graham, I like it! 

7 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

What's that texture on your walls graham, I like it! 

That wall texture is actually a wall covering. Just copied a swatch pic from the supplier and used it as a texture, here it is. Wall coverings are gaining in popularity, as this project is in the UK the existing plastered walls are not in the best condition, the wall covering is being considered as an alternative to the time and expense in having all the walls plastered again.

Bianco-Naturali-textile-wall-coverings.thumb.jpg.0d82618e42b4355b7cd47ae107b68728.jpg

7 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

My goal is to get Rabbits and Graham, and others quality without having to add a lot more cost to my clients.  This would be great for the pictures.

Can you post the plan used for the pics in your first post? I can adjust the cameras / lightning the best I know how, send the plan back to you and then you can compare.