Dimension snaps change inexplicably

CElder

I've had this issue numerous times before.  This time, it caused a real problem because I didn't catch it and now it has caused a real-world mistake on a jobsite - my boss is not happy!

I've attached a screenshot to show the location of my issue.  I used the Interior Dimension tool to snap the string of dimensions circled in red.  When I originally pulled it, the dimensions all snapped to the interior of the rooms at the framing layer, which is the way I wanted it.  I went back and checked my prior revision and it was correct there, 10'-7" in the bedroom, 4'-6 1/2" in the walk-in closet.

As you can see the two dimension ends where the arrow points have both changed their snap location to the wrong side of the wall, therefore creating a 7" error in framing dimensions.

I've also attached the plan file, in case that helps.

Can someone please explain why this happens and/or what I can do to make my dimensions stop randomly changing where they are snapped to?

Screenshot (35).png

hager20_0330.plan

No offense of course, but the first mistake you are making is using that dimension type (Interior Dimension). They do have a tendency to snap to the default of a wall when things get moved or changed. In your case, the wall layers got reversed.

Rather I'd suggest developing the habit of using the "Manual Dimension" tool.

I ALWAYS and ONLY dimension to the front of interior walls and the left side of  interior walls. Stairwells get dimensioned to the framing line of the actual opening.

The next suggestion is to clean up and review your dimensions using a final layer set that has the wall layers turned off. Also, turn off all casings. Dimensioning will become much cleaner and easier to snap to the main layers. Just because those layers are on out-of-the-box, doesn't mean we should keep them on all the time!

You've got a heck of a lot of manually placed text that could be automated and cleaned up. It'd save you many, many, many hours on each plan. If you're interested in optimizing some of these things, you could reach out to one of the many experts on this forum to help you out. Did I mention it could save you a lot of time?! 

Certain dimension types, certain layer sets, and manually typed text all lead to increased probability of mistakes. Improved methods will not only save time, but lower the probability of errors occurring.

• Upvote 1

While I do appreciate any tips or tricks that would save me time, I work for one builder who has been in business longer than I've been alive and  I don't get to just go in and tell them how I'm going to draw or label a plan and tell them to get used to it.  I haven't been able to get most of the automated labels, especially for doors and windows to read and locate themselves how we like them.

I would love to be able to turn that drywall layer off but if I set my layer set to "Main Layer Only", I lose my brick layer.  I already changed all my wall types so that all the materials outside the framing (foam board, siding, etc.) are an invisible line type so I guess I could just change so the drywall layer is the same way.

I find with the Manual Dimension tool that it picks up a lot of extra items that I don't necessarily always want but I don't want to turn them off in the the default because I do sometimes need to grab those for a dimension.  I guess I can try to find a happy medium to get used to using that tool instead.  Obviously, I must have accidentally reversed that wall direction, although I can't imagine why or when I would have.

3 hours ago, CElder said:

This time, it caused a real problem because I didn't catch it and now it has caused a real-world mistake on a jobsite - my boss is not happy!

In your defense the Site Supervisor/Framer should of caught this too, the arrows obviously cross over each other and there is no way Onsite layout of the walls , with the 3 dimensions could of worked....( given the length of the Bedroom).... someone should of asked a question at that point....

However Rob does have some good tips for you there..... The Point to Point Dimension Tool also works well, when the Manual one just picks up way too many things  ( as usual )

M.

14 hours ago, CElder said:

I find with the Manual Dimension tool that it picks up a lot of extra items that I don't necessarily always want

I don't expect Chief to dimension anything the way I'd like. I use a combination of auto and manual dimensions and I edit them all to ensure they are picking up what I want. And I agree with Mick, if the printed paper on site is clear and to scale, any decent worker would notice the discrepancy and note a correction on their copy of the plan. I also understand dealing with people who are stuck in their ways and prefer to work harder instead of smarter. It may take several sales pitches to your boss or repeat client to show them how you could improve things for them and utilize the software you've chosen to avoid errors and save time.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I have the same issue but only with the new X14 update. Interior dimensions only.

Every time I save and come back to the file all the dimensions change to the other side of the wall.

I do have surfaces turned on. All are measurements are done with the drywall on.

I really can't believe that not using interior and only use manual dimensions is the best answer I can find.

And our guys on the job will only look at the shown dimensions. I work in residential. There is know way anyone is going to scale a drawing themselves.