garage room spec elevation changes

Danmore

I chose the main floor level of my house to be zero. Garage floor will be 12" above this, as so in the garage room spec window I entered 12" for absolute elevation of the floor. Also entered floor to SWT at 18" and Stem Wall 40". This is shown in my hand sketch 'garage room spec sketch' attached. But when I entered those numbers and hit tab, the abs floor changed to -14 1/8" and the floor to SWT changed to zero. The diagram in the window was also different. That is shown in 'garage room spec'. I hit OK and upon reopening I got different numbers, abs floor -6", floor to SWT 18", and Stem Wall 40" (unchanged). All this is in 'garage room spec2'. 

What's going on? 

Thanks,

Dan

Windows 10, X12

garage room spec2.jpg

garage room spec.jpg

garage room spec sketch.jpg

TFE from itch4.plan

I will admit that I fully do not understand what is going on.  

But I think this is interesting....  not the foundation wall builds above the slab and then there is the 8" conc pony wall.....  this is a fun model to work out.

992420967_ScreenShot2020-05-05at2_26_49PM.thumb.png.e8f05aaa4c626a0cafa9508e0b124e6f.png

• Upvote 1

Seems to be do-able --when playing with Foundations like this leave Auto Rebuild on so it updates and fixes itself as you make Changes.

With the use of the Wall setting "Hang Floor on Wall above" and rebuilding the foundation ( and some manual play at the door to garage) I get this..... the Stem wall / footing seems high but these are your dimensions...

image.thumb.png.6f5eff6e53500b7fc05f40ce8cd1e109.pngimage.thumb.png.f8c5a0c69669354963906e69429c53f4.png

image.thumb.png.5f26c7917f1b9ade7d9730761e77e355.pngimage.thumb.png.3a3abdaba5b43e7afd797d39daa47555.png

15 hours ago, Danmore said:

I chose the main floor level of my house to be zero. Garage floor will be 12" above this, as so in the garage room spec window I entered 12" for absolute elevation of the floor. Also entered floor to SWT at 18" and Stem Wall 40". This is shown in my hand sketch 'garage room spec sketch' attached. But when I entered those numbers and hit tab, the abs floor changed to -14 1/8" and the floor to SWT changed to zero. The diagram in the window was also different. That is shown in 'garage room spec'. I hit OK and upon reopening I got different numbers, abs floor -6", floor to SWT 18", and Stem Wall 40" (unchanged). All this is in 'garage room spec2'. 

What's going on?

It's helpful to enter some of those elvations you'd like , then close the dbx to see what Chief actually does with it. In this case, change the SWT height and garage floor height on FLOOR 1, then go to floor 0 to change the stem wall height. You should have no issue...

TFE from itch4ADJ.planimage.thumb.png.83108b92c26cb440c48c32a355e7640c.png

15 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It's helpful to enter some of those elvations you'd like , then close the dbx to see what Chief actually does with it. In this case, change the SWT height and garage floor height on FLOOR 1, then go to floor 0 to change the stem wall height. You should have no issue...

TFE from itch4ADJ.planimage.thumb.png.83108b92c26cb440c48c32a355e7640c.png

Rob,  I do not think your model is building as   it would be built (For as I would build it) the concrete stem wall needs to go up to it is higher than the slab.  The first picture is you model,  the second picture shows how I think it should be built.  If you would not build it my way,  could you build it my way?

t2073059521_ScreenShot2020-05-06at5_19_11AM.thumb.png.a83ebde2325dfa42d6ae7228315ca666.png.  T

559020635_ScreenShot2020-05-06at5_21_15AM.thumb.png.72f60a73900f169b62881e756c4865cb.png

• Upvote 1

I have been playing with this with my own model (similar set up) .

It seems I can get it to build correctly if...

the lower concrete stem wall protrudes into the living room.

Of course I would like the lower concrete stem wall to protrude into the garage but then it does not build correctly.

See pics.

Can anybody edit one of my plans so the lower wall of pony wall protrudes into the garage and it builds correctly ?

I think this is a bug.

garage foundation plan for review 4 protrudes into living room.plan

garage foundation plan for review 4 protrudes into garage.plan

2077738057_ScreenShot2020-05-06at5_28_40AM.thumb.png.fb2566c3cb34a2782c1773e47c4771b8.png

124008054_ScreenShot2020-05-06at5_36_29AM.thumb.png.30b981e8b112c2464473e8b95c43af02.png

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

Always, always, always leave auto foundation on until you have to turn it off for some cleanup or final adjustments. Makes life sooo much easier.

found.png

It is no problem if you build the garage slab lower than house floor.

But I think the OP wants the garage slabs 12" higher than the house floor......  that is where the issues begin.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Rob,  I do not think your model is building as   it would be built

For sure. I used the OP's posted plan and I was simply showing that the elevations could be adjusted as requested. Dan didn't ask for anything regarding construction methods...(shrug)

40 minutes ago, robdyck said:

For sure. I used the OP's posted plan and I was simply showing that the elevations could be adjusted as requested. Dan didn't ask for anything regarding construction methods...(shrug)

Hey Robert,  

I know a lot of guys build these foundations auto,  I just don't understand how they do it..... or maybe they only do simple foundations. 

This is a good example of a project that I doubt can be built auto without some later auto tweaking.

How does one decide on which side to put the protruding lower pony wall? 

And then there is the missing lower pony wall if the pony wall is on the wrong side....  maybe CA can look into this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dshall said:

124008054_ScreenShot2020-05-06at5_36_29AM.thumb.png.30b981e8b112c2464473e8b95c43af02.png

If that concrete foundation that you are highlighting is auto-built, that seems pretty good to me. All that would be required is a capped railing wall on the interior of the foundation in order to provide a framed, insulated, and finished wall that covers the foundation. While it's not 'pretty' it seems that's what's needed.

I'd suggest that Chief could allow a few things:

• a 'pony' wall should be able to be made up vertically of more than just 2 wall types
  • all moldings should come with offset capabilities (in this case allowing a capped railing wall to cover the foundation with the cap)

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

If that concrete foundation that you are highlighting is auto-built, ......

The foundation is not auto built.  I built it manually....  I think it is ALMOST as fast to build manual as auto build.....

But what was auto was AUTO DETAILING,  and the walls are there in 3d which is nice.  There was no manipulating the height of the walls ,  they were auto heights.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2020 at 10:20 PM, Kbird1 said:

Seems to be do-able --when playing with Foundations like this leave Auto Rebuild on so it updates and fixes itself as you make Changes.

With the use of the Wall setting "Hang Floor on Wall above" and rebuilding the foundation ( and some manual play at the door to garage) I get this..... the Stem wall / footing seems high but these are your dimensions...

image.thumb.png.6f5eff6e53500b7fc05f40ce8cd1e109.pngimage.thumb.png.f8c5a0c69669354963906e69429c53f4.png

image.thumb.png.5f26c7917f1b9ade7d9730761e77e355.pngimage.thumb.png.3a3abdaba5b43e7afd797d39daa47555.png

Thanks everybody :-)

Mick: by hanging the floor on wall above, I was able to get the same, correct numbers. You mentioned the stem wall and footings seem a bit high. Average frost line is 18" and foundations are to be 12" below that. So I chose bottom to be 30" below the grade. I read someplace that it's a good idea to have 18" of stem wall above grade, so chose that number. Ran into a problem in my current house where garden fill was placed within a few inches of the siding. Ended up having carpenter ants in my attic. Why do you say they seem to be high?

Robert: Was also able to do the same thing with your method. Thanks! Wait....just read through the next replay and see it made the SWT too low. But how do you get dimensions to show up in the cross section/elevation view? I've turned on display manual and automatic dimensions in the layer display options but still don't get numbers.

image.png

The Dimensions in Robert's pic appear to be the the Automatic Story Pole Tool 

I meant the Footings for the Garage are almost as high as the top of the stem wall on the garage , and I wasn't sure how that would work in the real world.

Most jurisdictions require that the bottom of Siding/Stucco is 6 or 8" above Finished Grade , and Chief will try to set this approximately when the Terrain is built.

Garages usually have a 3-6" Stemwall so water from vehicles cannot infiltrate the bottom of the wall in Winter ( snow melt etc.) So you can likely lower that height forcing the footing down a foot at least.

image.thumb.png.dc94da74422614c0e824fdf2ac26af8f.pngimage.thumb.png.29eba503e9a0e4abca9bc7b428b6f3c1.png