recomended video card

Breeze_Wood

thanks everyone - I have GeForce GT 620 - I'm not having issues just that it may need replacing being fairly old - and yes some cards do not make much of a difference. The monitor died and had to replace it so thinking buy the card and have it ready whether I install it or not -

bought a high end monitor that is working well so far - after having to buy / return the available midrange monitor that was awful - made my eyes watery not clear at all - - did not buy the samsung I always liked because they are curved and wasn't sure that might not distort the floor pln. - everyone working at home so there has been a run on monitors - just my luck and had to order one ...

It all depends on the budget and since you are in no rush apparently , wait and make it your Xmas present as Nvidia is due to release a new 3000 Series of cards in the 3rd quarter , which will reportedly ( add grain of salt here to the rumor mill ) be much faster for less money , than current cards......

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72225/nvidias-mid-range-geforce-rtx-3060-could-beat-flagship-2080-ti/index.html

• Upvote 1

Reading a lot of good things about the new Invidia RTX 3000 series as well. Its release got pushed back somewhat it seems but seen some reports of it coming out in aug / sept range. Supposed to be much faster.  https://www.techradar.com/news/rtx-3080

Not sure about other Chief users but I don't find the video card to be a huge factor in the overall speed of Chief. Of course faster should be better but I think any upgrade from an older 1080 or perhaps even a 1070 is money not that well spent and money that could be better spent on a processor upgrade or one of the fastest SSD drives.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Not sure about other Chief users but I don't find the video card to be a huge factor in the overall speed of Chief. Of course faster should be better but I think any upgrade from an older 1080 or perhaps even a 1070 is money not that well spent and money that could be better spent on a processor upgrade or one of the fastest SSD drives.

It comes into play when a lot of CAD is used in plan. Also comes into play with custom material files, especially when mirror materials are used in a room with a lot of high texture resolution materials.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

It comes into play when a lot of CAD is used in plan. Also comes into play with custom material files, especially when mirror materials are used in a room with a lot of high texture resolution materials.

Of course the video card 'comes in to play' in various ways with Chief and if budget is no object then buy the fastest, latest, greatest card. OP, let us know what you end up with.

3 hours ago, Breeze_Wood said:

which is the quietest - 1080 or 2080 - i guess mine is a little outdated .... works fine for CD - they should drop in price when the 3000 comes out.

If you can afford it go with any of the 2000 series as they have RTX technology, as the hope is at some point Chief will start using it too, since Microsoft is now also recommending it.

However if the rest of the computer is as old as the Videocard, ( GTX 620) it maybe money better spent on a new(er) Desktop system that includes a Nvidia Card as it will include a faster CPU as well which Chief also makes heavy use of.  ( perhaps a 2nd hand Gamer's computer who is upgrading for example )

My 1070ti is just fine for Chief , it is equal to a 1080 when overclocked slightly and can be silent if that is a big concern , the Fans don't run until the Card hits 60°C though I overclock mine so use Bios 2 to run the fans at all times at 600-900rpm to keep things cool ( 35-38 deg..)

M.

On 5/6/2020 at 7:24 PM, Kbird1 said:

However if the rest of the computer is as old as the Videocard, ( GTX 620) it maybe money better spent on a new(er) Desktop

I have an I-7 core desktop as the business computer and maybe is aging more than I would like to think - a kvm switch that gives me two desktops for security, the old business computer I use for the internet - the only problem I encounter is I import surveys and include them with the drawn site pln in the layout - the imported PDF bogs down the computer - is that the video card if so I will buy a new one in a heartbeat - work has been steady and still new work even with the C-19 ...

10 hours ago, Breeze_Wood said:

the imported PDF bogs down the computer - is that the video card...

PDF's in Chief are slow. The video card will probably not help. A faster CPU can help in many ways but the video card does 3D 'rendering' and most likely not help with PDF's. At least it did not help on my machine.

Let me add that even though a faster video card did not increase the speed of my machine it did get that checked off my list of upgrades and put that expense/upgrade to sleep.

10 hours ago, Breeze_Wood said:

I have an I-7 core desktop as the business computer and maybe is aging more than I would like to think

That of course would depend on which i7 , I think my oldest one came out 10-12 years ago , my newest ( see below) is 5 years old and Nvidia hasn't made new Driver for the 620 in about 2-3 years now, that's why I was thinking it maybe time to treat yourself to a Whole new(er) system , now need to go crazy as even a reasonably new 2nd hand system eg from Craiglist , will have a bit more "go" than your current system if it is as old as I think , but as it seems you hold onto your computers for longer than most ( as I tend to do) , you may be better off going new, getting the current Tech. so you are futureproofed for another 5yrs... .

PDFs do slow down Chief for everyone , but the Videocard won't help with that AFAIK , but a newer CPU may a little, I would suggest getting DWGs from the Surveyor and importing them into a CAD Detail instead, these will also help with 3D Terrain generation (if needed) back in Plan.

M.

From my experience, given the age of your system I would not expect too much from the addition of a new high end dedicated graphics card. It's important to understand that in CA any and all graphic generation requires a combined effort by the CPU and the graphic card, the CPU must first prepare the data and only then can it be sent to the graphics card for final processing. Due to this the CPU and the graphics card must be balanced as best as possible so one or the other does not become a bottleneck. Imported PDF's are problematic as these require extreme CPU processing and unfortunately the graphics card can't help out, zooming and panning are similar. Camera views including PBR'ing take more advantage of the graphics card but even so I would estimate that about 60% of the processing time is still CPU related.

Just as an example, here is a snap shot of my CPU and GPU usage levels when generating a PBR. The vertical green line is when I opened the camera view and the red vertical line is when the PBR was finished. The total time was 30 seconds. As you can see, initially the CPU cranks up while the GPU remains essentially 0, it's only at about the last 10 second time point that the GPU starts to crank up, if you look closely at the GPU graph you can see that only in the last say 5 seconds (flattened curve) that my GPU was running flat out. Given this, if I were to just upgrade my GPU how much better performance could I really anticipate, maybe a few seconds at best.

1700510994_PBRTaskManagercopy.thumb.png.4662270a67dad695ac86ecbbfac749fc.png

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

given the age of your system I would not expect too much from the addition of a new high end dedicated graphics card

Especially true if the Motherboard is only capable of PCIe 2 , not PCIe3 as most modern GPUs need this  to achieve their highest performance.

A newer system would also come with the ability to use NVME SSDs etc which may also help Chief...

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Especially true if the Motherboard is only capable of PCIe 2 , not PCIe3 as most modern GPUs need this  to achieve their highest performance.

A newer system would also come with the ability to use NVME SSDs etc which may also help Chief...

Absolutely, computers are systems and they are generally only as good as the weakest component. You could go out and buy a $2,000 CPU but if you can't feed it the data fast enough then it's really a waste of money, it just sits there while it waits for more data to process. A bit like having a Ferrari idling in the driveway, lots of potential but it ain't going anywhere.

all good advice - funny the It guy keeps talking me out of upgrading desktop, he builds the computer and very dependable so I do what he tells me to do - I will upgrade, been a good year.

screen capture is more efficient than pdf - not jurkey - when zooming in and out and for overlays - PDF are more refined.

If I understand your post, which is not easy by the way, I think I read that in your experience PDF's are jerky as hell and screen captures are not?

If I read that correctly that's one tricks to speed up the display of PDF based data - that is take a screen capture, or by whatever means your PDF editor allows, and use the resulting .jpg; .png. file instead of the original PDF. 

20 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If I read that correctly that's one tricks to speed up the display of PDF based data - that is take a screen capture, or by whatever means your PDF editor allows, and use the resulting .jpg; .png. file instead of the original PDF. 

screen capture is easier to work with - can zoom in and out without lagtime and does not bog down computer when reviewing pages and prints faster - PDF is a better view - screen capture blurs when zooming in. I sometimes replace the sc with the PDF on the final version.