2nd Side Monitor for iMac

kboyer

Hello Chief friends, I am looking to add a 2nd monitor off to the side of my current system (iMac, Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). Would like to use 2nd monitor in portrait mode and match closely the vertical height of the iMac display (about 13").  If anyone is running this type of setup I would be very grateful for any advice on what best to look for.  Thanks!

Macs typically have an HDMI port to add a secondary screen. You can plug almost anything in - including an old flat screen TV. 

Dual screens is such a great way to work whether it be a PC or Mac... I won't promote any brands here, but there's a company that rhymes with bell - and they make a really good monitor for the price.  

https://www.macworld.com/article/3532366/add-a-second-display-to-your-mac.html

Thanks Val.   Any issues with having the 2nd monitor in portrait mode? Should I even assume most monitors have a portrait mode? I was surprise I was not able to use my iPad (10.2", seventh gen) in portrait mode with sidecar.

So it seems that every Mac has a display control for each monitor. Laptops or desktops both have the same interface for the displays. 

You can decide to "rotate" the view on the second one if you like - and it should be that easy.  

Although I didn't want to experiment on mine... according to on-line comments - it can be done!

Snip20200505_47.png

4 minutes ago, VHampton said:

So it seems that every Mac has a display control for each monitor. Laptops or desktops both have the same interface for the displays. 

You can decide to "rotate" the view on the second one if you like - and it should be that easy.  

Although I didn't want to experiment on mine... according to on-line comments - it can be done!

Snip20200505_47.png

Just to add in. (haven't done this with sidecar as my desktop is a Mac Pro 6.1 so it's not available with that setup.) but I use a 32" samsung curved as main monitor and currently am trying out in portrait mode my LG 25" ultrawide (using it basically stacked as two smaller monitors.) I had it in regular wide format previously and I liked it but have noticed lots of people use it in portrait so am trying it.  It does give alot of real estate right next to the other monitor but is a little harder to get used to where the mouse dives over to the other monitor since it is taller than the main one.

image.thumb.png.54e4c54ad596f5abefd60a0d46f6382d.pngimage.thumb.png.e6e86e4fc3bcbcd764b06bacf8fe6ce5.png