roof questions

Hammer7

1 hour ago, Hammer7 said:

I'm looking for some ideas on changing this roof in the front of this house to keep out snow pockets while preserving the interior as much as possible

What things are you locked into?  E.g.: can the plan change AT ALL in order to allow certain changes to the roof? ...  do you HAVE to have all Gables everywhere?  If you're in snow country, are the low pitch roofs you're showing going to be okay?   Is the giant attic over the garage particularly wanted, or just a result of the way the roof is currently working?

Lot's of info needed to really provide you the best advice... but here's a suggestion.
You didn't ask for this, but generally speaking I feel garages should fall back from the front of the house instead of being dominate.  I changed it a bit to make it a little less dominate than the giant gable you had.  

Roof.JPG

Roof II.JPG

Thank you Mark,  yes this is a work in progress, no there is no plans for a second floor other than some storage over the garage.  Yes I have a lot of lattitude to adjust the plan.  

Mark these are good suggestions and what you suggest is similar to the roof that our program auto generates.  This home will get plenty of snow so the original front gable idea is to keep snow away from the front entry and add a chandelier to the foyer.

So this is kind of like a 'chicken or the egg' challenge, form following function.  This interior design is what they want, putting an attractive roof on it that keeps snow and water out but looks attractive is the "trick"  Hypothetically, how do I best, minimally alter the interior space  to come up with an attractive roof that sheds properly?

To not trap snow you'd either have to have a gigantic gable that sheds to both sides of the house, or design the plan so the front entry and porch juts out beyond the rest of the house instead of being recessed.  That's a pretty big plan change, but I see it being doable.  Really only the front porch gable would need to extend out beyond the rest of the front.  You could have a porch roof all across the front, gabling up at the entry. I would also recommend massaging the plan so the Living Room is centered behind the entry, and recess that closet you have out on the front porch so it doesn't disrupt.