Small Wall Offset issues - again

Michael_Gia

In the image below, I have a 1 foot check on the facade of this home.  At anything greater than 2 feet, I would say there's never an issue.

I have a hard time having these three exterior walls meet along with the interior wall which is offset a little.

The problem is, even after fiddling with the wall connections and getting it to work, it can randomly erupt into walls disconnecting or misaligning upon re-opening the file.

The effect it has can not only wreak havoc on wall connections but even the colour of a nearby exterior door?!

Why doesn't this program prioritize exterior wall connections over interior?

If you all can tell me that there is no clear solution to this reoccurring problem then that's fine, just say it.

If there is a trick then please let me know what it is.

(yes, I know how to use the "edit wall layer intersection" tool.)

(I even make sure I'm editing the same intersection on the floors above and below)

Thanks,

716950751_Screenshot2020-05-0411_20_36.thumb.png.509d2a1532fe574a9198d35531427bad.png

no, it's just that in order to maintain a proper connection for the exterior walls I have to constantly pull back the interior wall so it's out of the way before I re-align and connect the exterior walls.

After that I re-connect my interior wall and pray it doesn't screw up the exterior wall connections.

Hmm.. still sounds like you're saying the ext. wall is automatically jogging due to that interior wall.
Anyway... saw this a while ago, which may solve the problem.  Pull back the interior wall a couple feet and draw a short piece of room divider wall perpendicular onto the end of it, then drag that perp. room divider wall back to the exterior walls which should pull your interior wall with it.  Sometimes that keeps things from snapping in ways you don't want.

Thanks, that does work on occasion. 

It's still a work-around, which is ok, I guess.

I really just wish we could set priority connections and lock exterior walls so they are never altered or re-positioned by interior walls.

X13?

I think the problem is that the Interior wall just needs to be reversed.  Then it should connect to the interior face of the main layer of the exterior wall.  I know that's strange, but it seems to work - at least most of the time.

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think the problem is that the Interior wall just needs to be reversed.  Then it should connect to the interior face of the main layer of the exterior wall.  I know that's strange, but it seems to work - at least most of the time.

That did not work for me. 

You can reverse walls and all the other little tricks and you will at one point fix the connection.

The real issue is that even once it’s fixed it can inadvertently get jumbled up. The effects are not just limited to walls out of line but it can even affect material colours on nearby doors and windows. It’s bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It was your emoji that got me...

We have so many now that I don't know what many of them mean, especially from those with I-phones. Wouldn't it be nice if we had technology that allowed us to actually "talk" to each other? Oh wait, we do - don't we?

1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:

We have so many now that I don't know what many of them mean, especially from those with I-phones. Wouldn't it be nice if we had technology that allowed us to actually "talk" to each other? Oh wait, we do - don't we?

It would be pretty cool to bring GOOGLE MEET to this forum, with screen sharing! 

I have had trouble with this on occasion but usually worse conditions than these. I have always managed to fix it. Not sure the difference but this worked right out of the box. Wonder if it could be resize about? grid snaps? I set my snap grid distance to 1/2" often then turn the grid snaps off. Anyway plan attached if you want to check for differences. It's from a fresh X12 template btw, changed wall fill colors for this.

image.thumb.png.fced7555b0cce562cc149da10a366e5f.png

walls align.plan

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I have had trouble with this on occasion but usually worse conditions than these. I have always managed to fix it. Not sure the difference but this worked right out of the box. Wonder if it could be resize about? grid snaps? I set my snap grid distance to 1/2" often then turn the grid snaps off. Anyway plan attached if you want to check for differences. It's from a fresh X12 template btw, changed wall fill colors for this.

That's too clean of an environment for a proper litmus test.

I took your barren out of the box X12 plan and only added a basement, a roof, a couple windows and look at the mess already.  See attached modified plan if you want.

1672149159_Screenshot2020-05-0421_34_54.thumb.png.bfbbc0feaba0b72c89d482c4cd1cc8d0.png

walls align.plan

3 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

See attached modified plan if you want. 

image.thumb.png.9b9c8f7c5fe8ccb1fe35798d78455fd7.png

I did what you did-only I copied and pasted windows and doors after building roof and foundation. Have had luck in the past cutting openings, moving wall then paste in place, didn't need to here.

That was on the first one, attatched is yours returned.

Cut openings on right, pulled interior wall away, point to point interior wall then pulled the other end back in place; paste and hold.

Left side was a bit harder, didn't mess up the exterior wall but interior wall did cut into the exteriors. This worked though-cut openings, pulled wall away, rebuild walls etc, pull wall back, paste and hold.

walls align(1).plan