Comm. Outlets... what're you guys showing these days?

DzinEye

Curious what you guys are showing for communications outlets in homes (or even offices) these days?
I've had a symbol for what for years was common install, a bundled phone, RG6 cable and cat-5 or 6 internet and would show one in each bedroom and the family room and/or living room.
Now everything's wireless...Seems to me the only thing relevant anymore is having a single communications/entertainment hub area wired with RG-6 and Cat-6.

A few months ago, I would have replied that there is nothing more dependable than a hard wired CAT5/6.  That was before I personally experienced wireless 5Ghz at .4 GB/s from my cable/ethernet provider.  I now have no problem accepting wireless connectivity ... within a house.  Unless you have 4 simultaneous gaming teenagers, local wireless bandwidth should not be a problem with a .5 or 1 GB uplink to your provider.  If you do have 4 simultaneous gaming teenagers, you'll probably need a 10GB/s uplink.  But that is beyond what is needed in terms of connectivity within a house.

I now find that the cost of adding hard-wired receptacles plus the wiring and terminating (time & material) in a new build has a financial impact.  My experience is that AV can add up to 5-10 devices needing ethernet connectivity: placing a switch/router downstream to your cable/ethernet provider coax/fiber handles the local load just find in general.

We've already seen the disappearance of RJ11 outlets everywhere because of wireless telephone systems.

Wireless is catching up.

I actually saw less hardwired a few years back but a resurgence in the need for Cat6 or better due to the many networking devices that are happening now.  Between cameras, local NAS for companies and families, adding wireless AP's to different rooms for the higher demand of a clear wifi signal, and more I think wiring for networking is coming back.  From a building standpoint I would run Cat6 or better to each room at least for future expansion.

Thanks for the feedback guys! 
Definitely seems to still make sense to run Cat-6, but what about the Cat-3 (telephone)?  Is anyone still installing that? 
And how about RG6? (typical Co-ax)...that used to run everywhere one would've wanted a TV, but now everyone's accessing TV via streaming.

41 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! 
Definitely seems to still make sense to run Cat-6, but what about the Cat-3 (telephone)?  Is anyone still installing that? 
And how about RG6? (typical Co-ax)...that used to run everywhere one would've wanted a TV, but now everyone's accessing TV via streaming.

Cat 6 can be used to transmit most things including hdmi cable adaption.

10 hours ago, Chief16Designer said:

For my house I run all 3 in the same box phone wire , RG6 and cat 6 for clients  its up to them 

That's what I've been showing too.  Just wondering if that's still the norm to run all three throughout the house.

10 hours ago, rgardner said:

Cat 6 can be used to transmit most things including hdmi cable adaption.

Right, but usually internet, or for those still taking cable tv, the signal comes into the house via a phone line for DSL or RG6 coax for Cable... and in growing circumstances Fiber-Optics.  I would think for a new house of today, that normal would be to bring in all options from side of the house to a hub point within and then just distribute only Cat-6 from the hub point to all the rooms?  At least to me that's what seems to make sense for today's technology... but it sounds like distributing all 3 wire types may still be common.  

My rules:

1) No CATs to any computers. Only between router, access points, NAS storage. 

2) PoE CATs to cameras as I have no plans to change batteries on two story building.

WiFi 6 All the way. With upcoming 6Ghz bandwidth channels it will get much better.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/21/18232026/wi-fi-6-speed-explained-router-wifi-how-does-work