Monitor question

Hammer7

I'm using a 55" HDTV and 2 30" Monitors in Portrait orientation.  Project Project Browser and Library are on the 30" Monitors, allowing the 55" HDTV to display the Layout/Plans at almost full size.  I still zoom quite a bit.

There's still room for other tools (Calculator, Email, Windows Explorer, Internet, etc) on one of the 30" Monitors - or simply over-layed as needed.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, I like hearing how others are doing things as I'm operating on a laptop to two 32" inch monitors.  It's working fine but I always like hearing what works better or for the different applications.  I don't have anything in portrait mode but I want to try that soon.

I went from two 24" monitors to a 43" 4k almost a year ago now.
At first I was thinking of getting one of the wide screen style monitors, but they were a lot more expensive so didn't.

For a little while after I started using this monitor I wasn't sure about it.  Was thinking maybe I should've gone wide-screen style.
I loved the width, but my eyes weren't used to looking up so high.
However... you soon get used to it, and I'll tell you.. exactly as Joe suggested above.. when viewing Layout it is AWESOME to see your page almost full size on the screen.
That right there is worth it in every respect.  It flat out is worth it just for that ability alone.
There was a thread a while ago where participants were talking about how it's so easy to not see mistakes until after a document is printed.  Without question, seeing the page full size (or nearly so) on the screen helps tremendously with that.  Still there is a component to our brains subconsciously not looking at a screen the same as a printed page, which I'm not sure we'll ever get rid of, but the ability to see is tremendously better.
Set-ups like Joe's a 55" plus two vertical 30's on the side... I think Perry runs two 43" side-by-side.  I've seen others post similar set-ups.  I guess if you're sitting 6 feet away from the screens I guess it's awesome, but for me, sitting about 3 feet away from this 43" is more than enough.  I dock Project Browser and Library and ALDO off to the sides off the main Chief window.   I feel like there would be too much head-turning to see all the real estate these other humongous setups have... but if there was another monitor just to have a web browser and email easily viewable...not related to Chief operation that would be fine.

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Make sure you don't mix resolutions with different monitors  1080p or 4k for all, but don't mix or it will not let the lower resolution go full screen

I often run a mix of resolutions as I have a lot of monitors shared between my two main desktop PCs and I don't see that particular issue.

However I do see an issue with mixed DPI scaling modes meaning some applications and parts of Windows that don't support per monitor DPI awareness can look less sharp on the lower DPI monitors (assuming highest DPI is main monitor) due to the default Windows scaling.  Sadly this mixed DPI issue is related to the text scaling preference and not the resolution, so even a 27" 4K monitor set to 150% scaling next to a 43" 4K at 100% scaling (which yields a similar text size) will still suffer from it.

Windows was quite late adding adequate API support for mixed DPI across monitors for applications to be able to handle this correctly (and its a fair bit of work to add full support hence even Windows isn't fully compliant).  Hence many applications currently only support a system wide DPI setting which is mainly to resolve problems with high DPI 4K and 8K monitors.  So currently the only way to get the best quality on multiple displays is to use multiple identical size and resolution monitors.

All kidding aside.  I am interested about what people are mentioning about the vertical second monitor.

I use a 32" curved oled Samsung for my main monitor (jealous of those 43 & 55's, might have to consider a wall hung one in my next office (hoping to move after this mess with Covid is up and will hopefully have more of the office space at the next location.)

My secondary monitor is an LG 25" ultrawide which I have always used on the side which is great for takeoffs (another portion of my business.) and obviously I use that for my other necessary browser, email, etc. windows as well as my project browser, Library, and ALDO.  My desk mount allows me to rotate it easily so I just tried that and I am going to give it a try for a little bit and see.  But was curious as to what people have seen is the benefit in portrait vs. landscape mode on these ultrawide secondary displays.  

Great thread @Hammer7 Sorry to kind of hijack it, I almost started another post but thought this part kind of goes with what you are looking for of the different techniques of what to use for optimal workflow.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:26 AM, rgardner said:

mentioning about the vertical second monitor.

It didn't work well for me as my old 23" monitors would not do the same resolution height (1440) as the main 32" monitor I had at full width, ie they'd only do 900x1440 so it didn't fill the full 1080p screen in Vertical,  so I ended up with more 32" monitors over the next few years as I replaced them.

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the contributions, I'm convinced and I'm going to plunk down the money for a 40- or 50" monitor to replace one of the 32" older model that I have.  I'm probably going to go to Walmart as a matter of convenience and price and while I would like a Samsung and will never buy LG....is there another brand that has worked well for your design work?

1 hour ago, Hammer7 said:

s there another brand that has worked well for your design work?

TCL 43" 4K model #43S517 (from Walmart). I have two and they work great. Tried a Hisense from Walmart but it only lasted 2-weeks and died...would not turn on.. took it back.

• Like 1

I have dual 43" Hisense Roku monitors and love it. But then when I transfer stuff to my home 27" or my employees 26" the text wrap problems crop up. That's the only negative.

4k monitors have become dirt cheap now. Even 43" Samsung models are only $269 at Bestbuy this week.

• Like 1

I've been using a 28" monitor for the longest time. Reading this thread has me wanting to upgrade to something larger. In the past when searching for a monitor, one of the key factors was dot pitch or pixel pitch and I don't see any mention of that with these large monitors/TVs. Is it not a concern with the latest technology? Also, I seem to recall seeing a thread which shows photos of CA users with their office setup showing the monitors in use. Anyone know where it is or could some of you post some photos of your large monitors/TVs in use? Thanks!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rwdozier said:

In the past when searching for a monitor, one of the key factors was dot pitch or pixel pitch

I was concerned about this also. But the 4K monitors are excellent. I also have a LG 32" true monitor. The TCL 4K is far superior to it in clarity and I am running both at 3840x2160.

10 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I was concerned about this also. But the 4K monitors are excellent. I also have a LG 32" true monitor. The TCL 4K is far superior to it in clarity and I am running both at 3840x2160.

I originally wanted something between my 27" and the 43" I bought. I was hoping for a cheap 32" or 37", but they don't make 4k TV's in anything less than a 39". You'd have to buy a dedicated gaming monitor for that, and they aren't cheap. So I went with the 43" 4K tv and I'm glad I did.

If you try to use a 32" 1080p HD TV as a monitor you will be very upset with the pixelation.

9 minutes ago, rwdozier said:

Any specific specifications needed for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 to support a TCL 4K monitor?

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-745-oem/specifications

Thank you!

I think it will drive one 4K screen , but perhaps not multiple monitors , as 4K is usually  3840x2160 ......  you buy at your own risk though :) at least at Walmart you can likely return it easily if needed.

image.thumb.png.9650bc265db6a78d008f95b28daaef5e.png

rwdozier , thank you and I agree... "I seem to recall seeing a thread which shows photos of CA users with their office setup showing the monitors in use. Anyone know where it is or could some of you post some photos of your large monitors/TVs in use? Thanks!"

I have had the same trouble as if Google images is locked in one vein of images, .....weird