Best practice for layout elevation views

sweetmelissa

Do you send your elevations to layout as a vector view or line drawing? Live or plot lines? It seems like when I have darker stained/painted cabinets, details are harder to see if the views are sent as vector. I figured maybe I should just use line drawings or plot lines for everything and then add a pic of a 3d view to show some of the aesthetic details for the clients.  One way seems better for clients and one for my cabinet makers. Thanks for your thoughts.  

Thanks Joey, but I'm confused.  When I send a live vector view to layout it is always colored.  If I check on plot lines, it isn't unless I add color fill, but from what I read that doesn't update as you make changes (though it seems to to some degree??). Do you have to change your elevation to "line drawing" to have it update automatically and not show colors? That would be fine I guess, but then I don't want to have to change the settings for the line drawing every time.  I imagine there's a preference to set the defaults for the views but I couldn't quickly figure it out.  I'll keep experimenting.  

I'm still just wondering if others think it's "better" to send line drawings instead of the colored views.  

Most often I'm using plot lines, no color fill, with edge line defaults and pattern line defaults checked. Update manually as needed- I use hotkeys and will most often be updating the entire layout when I'm done. Though for one or two elevations I let them update when closing.

9 minutes ago, sweetmelissa said:

If I check on plot lines, it isn't unless I add color fill, but from what I read that doesn't update as you make changes

There is a tool in layout that will make sure all your views are up to date. 

Layer/Anno sets are the best way to control lineweights and text size. I have a 1/2" anno set (now default sets) so that I don't have to keep changing anything. Just click the anno set and it's done.

Ok, thank you both.  I think I misunderstood when I read the difference between sending as plot lines or live.  The live view has an option to manually update and the plot line does not, so I wasn't sure if you could even manually update it.  That's how I 'll do it then when I want no color.