Shed design and T111 siding need some help

echobravo74

Good morning, 

I'm new to chief architect and currently using Chief architect premier X12.  I have a strong cad/cam background but new to Chief.

I would like to be able to setup a wall type that uses T111 siding. 

Not sure if this is possible but I would like an accurate representation not just a texture that would allow for the vertical joints for the purpose of layout and material takeoff.

Do any of you design sheds or small barns with Chief and if so can you offer any advice  

how you have yours setup that would allow me to automate some of it so I can switch back and forth between additions or home design vs shed design. 

In addition I would also like to be able to use metal roofing as well and not sure how.

I can place any of this in a seperate topic, this is my first post on the forum.

Thanks,

Brad

14 hours ago, echobravo74 said:

Good morning, 

I'm new to chief architect and currently using Chief architect premier X12.  I have a strong cad/cam background but new to Chief.

I would like to be able to setup a wall type that uses T111 siding. 

Not sure if this is possible but I would like an accurate representation not just a texture that would allow for the vertical joints for the purpose of layout and material takeoff.

Do any of you design sheds or small barns with Chief and if so can you offer any advice  

how you have yours setup that would allow me to automate some of it so I can switch back and forth between additions or home design vs shed design. 

In addition I would also like to be able to use metal roofing as well and not sure how.

I can place any of this in a seperate topic, this is my first post on the forum.

Thanks,

Brad

As you may have guessed for the lack of replies, not a lot of Chief Users Design Sheds :)  however Chief does it just Fine when needed ( pics below )

Chief has some vertical wood Paneling which is similar to T1-11 in the Siding Library or like me you can make a material from an Image from online or one you've taken yourself.

I guess you could make  4'x8' "Sheets" so you could play with Panels but it'd be a lot more work , I'd probably just do that in a CAD Detail with lines.

You'll need to :

1. make a "Shed walltype"  ( just 2x4 framing and T1-11 Material layers)
  2. Change the Roof Plane Surface material to Sheetmetal>Ribbed ( or whichever you prefer, *Note it is not under Roofing Materials but Sheet Metal)
  3. Make a Foundation (level 0) , then delete it , so your Floor Framing will build in Chief.
  4. Add "Skids" under floor or preferred real foundation.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.cf5cf7e00a07d35ff3ff56e66194e47c.pngimage.thumb.png.5d141a38b8ed009ae203e0fbd6e673dd.png

image.thumb.png.2324f2f427c870cd409a8cf0c6ce04e5.pngimage.thumb.png.e159d31f318fb58a078d7bc11e0b7862.png

image.thumb.png.261d2100925d011bd567d0188dceaca0.pngimage.thumb.png.31f3491455f0e5b74392d64d3edfb547.png

• Like 1

I designed a "SheShed" for my wife and sent the plans including 3D Views to Backyard Outfitters for construction and delivery.

Backyard Outfitters is an Amish/Mennonite Company.  

I wish I could have seen their reactions when they saw the drawings.  They use hand sketches at the bottom of their spec sheet.

They did a fantastic job.  It's Vinyl siding, aluminum trim, with a 6 ft Fiberglass door.  The door has lites at the top with mullions.  It has two windows and asphalt architectural shingles. It also has 16" OC construction including the roof trusses and 3/4" Treated plywood floor.

Don't tell my wife I call it the "***** Barn".  

EDIT: This site ****** my foul language.  HERE's a link to the reference

Just wanted to say thanks everyone so mcuh for all of your  help, its greatly appreciated!

I'm still playing around with what everyone shared yet.

One odd thing I'm noticing is with framing playing with Chief , I sent a request to support but noticed if you have a studwall over lets say example 20' 

it doesn't break the wall so to speak for TB plates like you would frame it if you only had 8'-12' 2x material or put a stud at the end of each wall for the joint so to speak.

On a shed no big deal but on a larger building or home would be a pain to have to manually edit lol.

Must be a setting I'm assuming I need to change somewhere? 

10 hours ago, echobravo74 said:

Must be a setting I'm assuming I need to change somewhere? 

Nope . Chief does not "Panelize" Walls for convenient Framing , it is assumed the Framer would know how to do that without help,

and in my Experience most framers will not give a s*** how chief frames it cos " I've been framing for 30 yrs and know better"  :) 

M.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

and in my Experience most framers will not give a s*** how chief frames it cos " I've been framing for 30 yrs and know better"  :) 

Same here. I think some framers are "taught" that in Framing 101.

Disclaimer: those of you on here who are good framers please don't take offense; not all are good framers.

21 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Same here. I think some framers are "taught" that in Framing 101.

Disclaimer: those of you on here who are good framers please don't take offense; not all are good framers.

Ha ha!... that's like saying 'those of you who are good drivers out there'...  we're ALL good drivers... damnit.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, rck-tech said:

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this step please. how would you actually add the skids. I am good with all the steps you listed but (add skids)

Thank you,

On the foundation level frame your floor if you setup your joists properly you could even auto frame it but most likely manually placing the 4x4 or 4x6 skids under the joists would do it.

3 hours ago, rck-tech said:

how would you actually add the skids. I am good with all the steps you listed but (add skids)

As Ryan mentioned I likely added them manually witht he General framing too but will look up the plan and check if you need me too

*The Floor Framing was all auto above , but perhaps not the Skids....

M.