Cut Line

SteveNovato

29 minutes ago, SteveNovato said:

Does anyone know if Chief can replicate the 'cut line' in the attached elevation view...it shows that the railing is present, but removes a portion to see the details of the house. I am using X12.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Cut Line.png

You can do that, you just gotta think out of the box.

Use more than one elevation type sent to layout. Copy you layer set for the elevation view and turn off the railing. Crop the layout boxes as desired and add CAD break lines in layout. Drawing Order tools to place the cropped view on top.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Use more than one elevation type sent to layout. Copy you layer set for the elevation view and turn off the railing. Crop the layout boxes as desired and add CAD break lines in layout. Drawing Order tools to place the cropped view on top.

Slight tweak is to use a saved plan view with the railing turned off after taking a cad detail from view, copy and paste the adjusted section of railing you want in place on the view with no railing.

13 hours ago, robdyck said:

Nice solution, I do something similar to control line weights to give a perception of depth

6 hours ago, mattyt12 said:

Nice solution, I do something similar to control line weights to give a perception of depth

And you're just gonna leave us hanging with that teaser?! ;)   Would you be able to post a screenshot example?

20 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Not quite like that in any sort of an automated way but you could certainly do an edited cad detail from view or in layout there is a tool to edit layout lines but mostly for smaller touch ups.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BrianEgr said:

How do you make the foundation wall and footings lines below grade appear as a dashed line, and the wall lines above grade appear as solid? I'm using Pro if that matters.

Thanks!

Erick is right you should be looking for the solution in the Home talk forum, but I believe the method I use would work in hdpro as well.

The process is called a CAD mask.

1.) First draw a poly line around the underground area but much wider and below where you will crop it when you send it to your layout page.

2.) Now draw the lines on top of the footings where you want to see dashed lines, and change the line style to dashed.

3.) Select the first poly line that you drew and change it to have a solid white or background fill.  It will hide the foundation but since the other lines were drawn after it they will show as dashed lines.

One point to make, it is also bad form to hijack others posts so please delete your post after reading this and I will do the same tomorrow so as to not derail this very helpful post for others.  You have 24 hours and then this message will self destruct...

:ph34r::D

Off topic of the OP, but talking about dashed lines below grade.... I use the "white angle hatch fill" technique, where a polyline is drawn over the underground area and filled with white angle hatch lines.

Saves the work of drawing dashed lines to replace the foundation, always updates with the model, and looks more harmonious IMO (sometimes drawn dashed lines look jangly when multiple lines are parallel)

1013703234_ScreenShot2020-06-15at11_23_10AM.thumb.png.951f54568d074e3d319b9d40e969596f.png

5 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Am I missing something or can't you just create an elevation layerset and make the footing and  foundation walls a dotted line for that layerset.

Yep... But then the above ground portions of the foundation are dashed too.  Whether it's faster to draw over those bits with solid lines vs. hatched cad mask...  depends on the view I guess.

Just now, DRAWZILLA said:

Am I missing something or can't you just create an elevation layerset and make the footing and  foundation walls a dotted line for that layerset.

The foundation walls above grade are the problem; you want those solid. If the lot is totally flat, using a pony wall for the foundation might work, but that brings in other potential problems as other posts have shown - especially with basements and windows and doors. On a sloped lot, I use the "white angle hatch fill" technique like Chris. I use an angle hatch at 45° with a border line weight of "0" and a fill line weight of 75; works good and easy to control the look.

I usually just use the "Cad detail from view" command, change the foundation lines to dashed, and then copy and paste in place over an earth fill:

727643108_FrontElevation.thumb.PNG.4bd3ebd8d9b63b5112137af47c0d83ea.PNG

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

Off topic of the OP, but talking about dashed lines below grade.... I use the "white angle hatch fill" technique, where a polyline is drawn over the underground area and filled with white angle hatch lines.

Saves the work of drawing dashed lines to replace the foundation, always updates with the model, and looks more harmonious IMO (sometimes drawn dashed lines look jangly when multiple lines are parallel)

5 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Yep... But then the above ground portions of the foundation are dashed too.  Whether it's faster to draw over those bits with solid lines vs. hatched cad mask...  depends on the view I guess.

Out here in the land of fruits and flat lots, I don't get a lot of sloped lots, but when I do, I just don't show anything below grade, cover all that in the sections. Also place my cameras outside the lot perimeter and use a dirt material for the skirt.

45 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Out here in the land of fruits and flat lots, I don't get a lot of sloped lots, but when I do, I just don't show anything below grade, cover all that in the sections. Also place my cameras outside the lot perimeter and use a dirt material for the skirt.

Same with me Perry... only really do dashed sub-grade foundation for basement projects