Jamb Switch

Boogdaddy

I'm not sure what is meant by the "Automatic Door Switch" symbol in CA's Library.  Does Automatic Door Switch = Jamb Switch?  I am trying to figure out how to place a jamb switch, such as would be placed on the hinge side of a door to a storage closet or pantry and turns on the light inside when the door is opened.

1 hour ago, Boogdaddy said:

I'm not sure what is meant by the "Automatic Door Switch" symbol in CA's Library.  Does Automatic Door Switch = Jamb Switch?  I am trying to figure out how to place a jamb switch, such as would be placed on the hinge side of a door to a storage closet or pantry and turns on the light inside when the door is opened.

It's the Door switch you need apparently , though it doesn't really match the RW Jamb switches I've used....

image.thumb.png.078628bddd212c33425e9583fa67c65e.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.  Hmmm....I'm not finding that particular door light switch in my Library no matter what combination of wording I use. That's definitely the type of jamb switch I'm wanting-with the centered actuator. Did you download a manufacturer or bonus catalog that had it?

7 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

Thank you for the reply.  Hmmm....I'm not finding that particular door light switch in my Library no matter what combination of wording I use. That's definitely the type of jamb switch I'm wanting-with the centered actuator. Did you download a manufacturer or bonus catalog that had it?

Oops forgot to check that,  it appears to be one I have from here on the Forum at some point, so I can't claim any credit or give it since I didn't note where I got it........ but may have come from 3D Warehouse perhaps..........this was exported in X12 btw.

MHD_Door Jamb Switch.calibz

• Like 1

@solver  I understand the need for newer users and those learning to search the Forum first before posting questions so as to minimize wasting the time of those more experienced submitting answers. I am still new to the software and learning and for that matter, I have ZERO CAD experience previous to CA. I've got 35+ years in residential design, drafting and construction, but all of my design and drafting was done the old school way-by hand with pencil/pen and paper/vellum. I think I've initiated a new post 3 or 4 times asking for help to figure something out. You've responded each time with something referring me to utilize the search function. In each of those cases before I posted, I searched multiple times, both on the Forum, Google, YouTube and other places online without success. Only after striking out do I then post asking for assistance. There have been many occasions when I actually did find what I was looking for in a previous post by searching key words, and therefore didn't need to post a question. As I said, I'm new to the software and the forum, and as a newbie I get that I may not always be performing the search with the correct word or phrase to find what I'm looking for, though I always try searching with multiple combinations of words and phrases before I finally give up and post a question.

I actually found the download given above (thanks @Kbird1!) before I logged back into the forum and found @Kbird1's reply with the correct switch I was looking for. However, I found it while searching the "All Content" function on CA's main website, and NOT by utilizing the Forum search function. I see the screenshot of the results you've received Jamb Switch @solver. I used those exacts words and variations thereof several times before I posted yesterday and I never found any post(s) on Jamb Switches in the 7 or 8 pages of Forum search results I looked through, let alone the relevant one which contains the download.

After seeing your search results in the screenshot above, to check myself I repeated the search just now using the words Jamb Switch. Attached is a .pdf of my search result. As you can see, apart from my post now showing up in the results at the top, the rest of the entires look NOTHING like the results you got. Perhaps I am doing or not doing something in my search of the Forum that is not giving me the same results you seem to get. If so, I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. While it is the case that I'm new to CAD and new to this Forum, I am fully computer literate and belong to many other forums on unrelated topics and never seem to have any problem with those other search functions.

Showing results for 'jamb switch'. - ChiefTalk Forum.pdf

2 hours ago, Boogdaddy said:

As you can see, apart from my post now showing up in the results at the top, the rest of the entires look NOTHING like the results you got

21 hours ago, solver said:

Searching ...

I'll be interested too!  I have rotten 'luck'<?> searching for things which sometimes I know are in the forum.  I don't think the search engine on here is very robust, but the difference between your search and Eric's (Solver) has me curious.  Eric, if you've got any ideas on this difference would love to hear!

In defense of Eric's response about searching though, there really are a load of queries that come into the forum that are answered by well made videos and information documents that Chief has prepared and those usually pop-up in a basic search.   If you first try searching however, do not ever be put off to sending in questions.  Usually a lot of people learn something from one persons question being answered.

@DzinEye  I understand. If it seems like I was being defensive or unappreciative of Solver's responses, that is definitely not my intent. My goal is to learn and understand, and at the very least I'm obviously doing something different in my searches than he's doing. Every time he's replied to search, he's included his own search with relevant results even though I've searched using exactly the same words or nearly the same. I'd love to know how to fix that so that I don't keep doing it.

As I said, I'm new and this is a whole new world for me. I've actually come farther, faster than I'd hoped for. I've got my first plan nearly as complete as I would've done a hand drawn set of plans. Are there mistakes? I'm sure there are, but I figured it would be the perfect first house to do in CA and learn on since I'll be building it and I can identify the mistakes that will invariably reveal themselves in construction.