Materials and textures

stager386

I have fabric patterns that I have designed in Photoshop. The end result is a pattern square, that when applied to a larger canvas will have a seamless repeat. 

When I import the defined pattern to CA as a material, and apply it to a sofa, it may apply properly in regard to the repeat and size, but doesn't distribute properly onto various parts of the sofa, the way a seamstress would position it.  I've tried importing the material as the pattern square, allowing it to repeat on the sofa, and I've tried importing it after allowing it to repeat onto a larger canvas. I have figured out how to size the material, but positioning it is problematic. Back pillows, for example, don't look right because the pattern isn't centered on each one as it would normally be.  And it's all one item, so can't do pillows separately.  Any suggestions? 

For the pillows, you'd have to model them separately. You can do that by deleting the pillow surfaces from the original model, then 'convert to symbol' until you have just the chair.

Reverse that process for the pillows, apply the material, and then you can place the pillows where you'd like on the chair and make a new symbol of the combined items.

Clear as mud, right?!

You'd have to do the same thing for a chair or sofa in order to apply materials how you'd like them. Delete surfaces to split the chair or sofa into parts, and define a copy of the material for that part. Repeat the process for arms, seat, back, whatever always using a copy of the material (Fabric - Arms... Fabric - Seat and so on).

You can use separate plan files and control-alt-v to always place parts in the exact same position as the original chair OR use the replicate tool to always move parts the exact same distance so that you can rebuild your furniture model easily.

Thank you! I will try this!

I have reworked the original model and did the pillows separately.  Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the pattern lines on the generic pillow surface, as the fabric I apply goes on the surface in quarter sections.