Vector pdf file creation

Grayling

My building department is allowing eplan submissions. The .dwg files need to be converted to a Vector pdf file using: AutoDesk Vector Graphic Converter "DWG to PDF.pc3 plotter driver.

I tried working with Adobe since I have the full Adobe license to all their products. They had some information about going into the registry and editing it. Which I did with some HKEY additions, but I still couldn't get the .dwg to vector pdf file to work.

Do you know if there is any way to do this with Chief? I'm really confused. These are not standard pdf's.
Thank you

As far as I know the "Chief Architect Save As PDF" driver is one of the best available and converts any content that can possibly be Vector into a Vector PDF.  I am not totally clear about the origin of your files but if they can be imported into chief then there should not be any issue creating vector PDF's from them.  That is if it is a DWG import not a PDF import.

I think....not 100% sure...but what they are talking about is that the "vector pdf" is scale able. In other words, when they look at the file they need to be able to zoom in and out without losing clarity. They need to be able to view everything. Chief will do that. Send them a file and see if that is what they need.

24 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

what they are talking about is that the "vector pdf" is scale able. In other words, when they look at the file they need to be able to zoom in and out without losing clarity.

Yes that is the idea as I understand it, vector PDF will define a line by it's beginning and end points while a "raster" PDF defines a line by a series of pixels which can degrade the quality significantly especially on angled lines.

image.thumb.png.a10df911c38715fca13c6747ea940c16.png   vector

image.thumb.png.3eb5dfd6efa009264ba0d9f44410c524.png  raster

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes that is the idea as I understand it, vector PDF will define a line by it's beginning and end points while a "raster" PDF defines a line by a series of pixels which can degrade the quality significantly especially on angled lines.

image.thumb.png.a10df911c38715fca13c6747ea940c16.png   vector

image.thumb.png.3eb5dfd6efa009264ba0d9f44410c524.png  raster

True as well as when using pdf takeoff software such as bluebeam’s REVU it is “clickable” in that it is easily measurable from different points.

• Upvote 1

I think they just mean it's scalable. So I've uploaded to the city eplans website and we'll see what happens. I did verify that the plans were clean to read and that they were scalable. So I hope it's all good. The corona virus I think speeded up my embrace of this plan submittal method. But like every place, they want us all to use AutoCAD. Which I haven't used in over 20 years.

Thanks for your thoughts!