Wall Framing separated in different layer views

MichaelJerome

Hi Again,

After sending this plan to my engineer he has requested several things that are list in the pdf files.

• I can not combine framing layer 4 and 2 that are basically the same wall but separated.
  • With the headers that the engineer is suggesting I will have to raise the ceiling, roof and trusses.
  • I also need to have a soffit retained over the entry for lighting but have the outside ends match with no boxed soffit. 
  • The are layers in the wall that appear as shapes in the drywall that I cannot seem to find or eliminate. 
  • The windows cannot be lowered since the closet ceiling and the closet roof limit the movement in the wall.
  •  I have drawn red lines for the framing that the engineer has requested but can't place the framing on the same layer.

I would appreciate any insight on how to accomplish this so I can get it back to him for review and have accurate details for the layout and city plan review.

Thank you,

Michael 

Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.zip

2nd Wall Layer 4 Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf

Megale Center Plan 2 2.7.20.pdf

Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf

Wall Layer 2 Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf

Wall Layer 4 Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf

28 minutes ago, solver said:
41 minutes ago, MichaelJerome said:

I can not combine framing layer 4 and 2 that are basically the same wall but separated.

Is this a problem, or something that someone looking at the plan should not suggest? Is "framing layer 4" a layer in Display Options?

I am trying to display this wall as one layer. When I select the wall on the 1st floor and open the layer I see one and the other is on the second floor. If I am going to show this as detail for the framer I can't create it accurately without the wall sections being one not 2.

30 minutes ago, solver said:
43 minutes ago, MichaelJerome said:

With the headers that the engineer is suggesting I will have to raise the ceiling, roof and trusses.

Problem with doing this?

No, problem with doing this as I am working on this right now but wanted to explain that the windows will not be able to be moved up or down due to the limitations of the headers and the closet roof.

32 minutes ago, solver said:
45 minutes ago, MichaelJerome said:

I have drawn red lines for the framing that the engineer has requested but can't place the framing on the same layer.

Are you saying you are unable to, or do not want to? 

The same layer as?

I wanted to show you and others the framing that is to be drawn but I cannot get the framing layers to combine. #4 and #2 need to be one framing layer to display as a detail drawing for the framer and for plan review from the city to show the shear support as the engineer drew.

SHAPES IN WALL.jpg

5 minutes ago, MichaelJerome said:

I am trying to display this wall as one layer. When I select the wall on the 1st floor and open the layer I see one and the other is on the second floor. If I am going to show this as detail for the framer I can't create it accurately without the wall sections being one not 2.

No, problem with doing this as I am working on this right now but wanted to explain that the windows will not be able to be moved up or down due to the limitations of the headers and the closet roof.

I wanted to show you and others the framing that is to be drawn but I cannot get the framing layers to combine. #4 and #2 need to be one framing layer to display as a detail drawing for the framer and for plan review from the city to show the shear support as the engineer drew.

You could hire someone, like myself for instance, to provide you with the appropriate drawings that will satisfy your engineer, the building department, and the homeowner.

Hi Robert,

I am so close on this and communicating with the engineer for the details. I know you could probably complete it without issue but I am trying to learn the correct way of doing the processes I am questioning so I can provide the drawings myself without hiring it out. I already have a complete layout but the engineers requirements are not easy to implement with the restrictions I find in CA.

Thanks,

Michael

Just now, MichaelJerome said:

I am so close on this

You posted this pic:SHAPES IN WALL.jpg

In that view double click the lower wall to open the dialog box. Then:

1. Structure tab / platform intersections / balloon through ceiling above. close dbx
  2. click 'build framing for selected object
  3. click 'open wall detail'
  4. edit the framing as per engineers notes.
  5. dimension and note as necessary
  6. if there is framing still existing in the wall above, open the upper wall detail, delete the framing, and check 'retain framing' .

Real close! There were wall divisions for the raised foundation wall for the planter but I may be able to do that and add the windows back hopefully and then add and adjust the headers. The image is what the smaller window and lower window would look like sitting higher on the stem wall below.

Wall with windows fixed to engineer specs.jpg

2 minutes ago, MichaelJerome said:

Real close! There were wall divisions for the raised foundation wall for the planter but I may be able to do that and add the windows back hopefully and then add and adjust the headers. The image is what the smaller window and lower window would look like sitting higher on the stem wall below.

Wall with windows fixed to engineer specs.jpg

copy your CAD DETAIL BED #3 CROSSSECTION and use it as a guide to edit the framing in an actual wall detail.

You have 3 different walls that will be framed as one...just pick one and edit. You can even copy and paste the framing from one wall detail into another. And yes, angled headers suck to edit...so use a general framing member... or open the window dbx and specify the correct header, then rebuild the framing.