How can I separate the Interior Walls + Soffits default Material?

kylejmarsh

Though I always council my clients to match their interior wall finishes to their soffits, sometimes I find they are resistant to the idea and want to use two different materials for these items.

However, I only have the option to change the default for the two together:

613964176_ScreenShot2020-04-22at9_17_12PM.thumb.png.92a546261a647e1ca178fdf2e15f7500.png

Is there a way to create a new material default, or to separate these? I guess it's not a big deal but I always wondered if there was some deeper insight that I was just not picking up on... perhaps some Chiefer out there can enlighten me?

13 minutes ago, solver said:

You can define your wall to have any material you choose.

Oh I totally agree - I honestly don't think it even works to change the interior wall material (it does change the soffits, however) but it's always baffled me why they are lumped together in the materials list.

Wait a minute now I just checked and when I change my soffit material to 'default' it makes it into Drywall just like the interior walls:

1591683575_ScreenShot2020-04-22at9_50_10PM.thumb.png.2997e0e6f295b152fa9d87e38ab0caf5.png

Even though my material default for soffit/interior walls is set to be 'cobble stone':

1730218710_ScreenShot2020-04-22at9_52_19PM.thumb.png.06499939d31f3f45bcaa855c01581b00.png

Kyle I think you need to buy a new computer for that to work.;)

Pretty sure Walls (Interior)/Soffits and Soffit/Eave are two completely different things.

Soffit/Eave would be a Roof Default Material not a General Default Material.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kylejmarsh said:

Wait a minute now I just checked and when I change my soffit material to 'default' it makes it into Drywall just like the interior walls:

Those Soffits are the ones included under the Cabinet Menu Items, not the Exterior Eave Soffits AFAIK....

M.

• Upvote 1

You guys are right! It's the interior soffits that are controlled by that. Whew! Thanks for the help.

It's funny the whole time - literally years - i've been using Chief I could not understand why the roof soffits and the interior walls were on the same material. Now it all makes (more) sense. And to be clear, I define my roof soffit material in the roof defaults dialog as is proper - but couldn't figure out what the deal was with that. 

iu-8.thumb.jpeg.45a53dbc89022caecea27d7db7fd5f96.jpeg

Interior Soffits. Lol thanks for helping me laugh at myself a bit ;) 

Enjoy!