sloped walls

MarkSM

I am drawing a lot of these elevations with angled or "sloped" walls, like in the pic below.  Im drawing them with a polyline solid.  The problem is that the framers are framing them out because they aren't showing up as actual walls on the plans. Do anyone know of a way to draw an angled wall that looks like this?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.58.11 AM.png

This has come up many times in the forum.  Did you try searching for info on it?
I'm pretty sure the only current solutions are either to use a 'roof' for the wall, or if they're battered (sloped outside, vertical inside) you can draw the wall where it would be vertically (inside location) then use polyline solid to show the sloped shape on the outside of the wall.  Also you could go so far as to use a very short pony wall on the outside along with the sloped polyline solids... the short pony wall on the outside would show up in plan view as framing depending on your view setting for pony walls.

2 minutes ago, solver said:

The framers are not framing them?

How would they know the shape if they were shown on a plan?

sorry, yes.  the framers are NOT framing them, based on the plan.  The builder is having the masons build the angled walls, which is costing a fortune.  Also, the engineer isn't seeing a wall there either, so its not getting on the foundation plan.  

1 hour ago, MarkSM said:

I am drawing a lot of these elevations with angled or "sloped" walls, like in the pic below.  Im drawing them with a polyline solid.  The problem is that the framers are framing them out because they aren't showing up as actual walls on the plans. Do anyone know of a way to draw an angled wall that looks like this?  Thanks in advance for the help!

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.58.11 AM.png

My suggestion is old school. put a detail bubble on the plan & show a framing hand drawin framing elevation on the plan as a detrail or mark it as a detail and show it on your detail sheet. Chief dfoes not pay much attention tho these short commings

I've drawn these, and built these. My 2 cents is to show the typical walls in plan view, and draw and label the tapered build-out (to the exterior) in plan view. I am assuming the inside of the wall is vertical and only the exterior is tapered. Very simple to draw the shape of the build-out in plan view, and very quick and simple to do a cad section detail, or a 3d model of the detail (if you do that sort of thing). I'd callout the detail on the plan and on the elevation drawing. On my section detail, I'd show and note the ripped tapered framing...and I'd be planning it to get 2 boards with one cut. This build-out would be applied over the exterior of any wall sheathing and weather barrier.

If your p-solid is working for the look of the model, I wouldn't mess with that.

12 minutes ago, robdyck said:

On my section detail, I'd show and note the ripped tapered framing...and I'd be planning it to get 2 boards with one cut.

Very good planning depending on final wall thickness and wall taper.  In this case looks like almost 12" of just taper, so I think the sloped framing would be separate, thus I suggested use of a short pony wall in plan view which would show up as double framing, but not effect the 3D views/elevations.

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

Very good planning depending on final wall thickness and wall taper.  In this case looks like almost 12" of just taper, so I think the sloped framing would be separate, thus I suggested use of a short pony wall in plan view which would show up as double framing, but not effect the 3D views/elevations.

And it appears as though a concrete base (to suit the foundation type) would be in order. Then a tilted 2x4 wall would be cheaper and simpler than the long tapered rip-cuts.

• Like 1