Placing custom door latch correctly?

Larry_Sweeney

Here I am again. I made a late 18th century plate latch for a door (way to much time on my hands ;)) and I'm trying to get it to place correctly on the door. On one side of the door I have the plate latch and on the other just a round brass knob. I call for the set back to be 2 3/4" which places the single brass knob correctly, but the plate latch is placed on the door as shown in the attachment. I've tried adjusting the "Origin Offset" for the plate latch symbol but the plate latch will not go any closer to the edge even if I tell it to be zero inches from the edge. The round knob on the other side will move to the edge, but not the latch plate. It seems like CA "reads" the edge of the symbol when next to the edge of the door. Then as it move in on the stile it starts to read the center of the symbol for placing. When CA places a lever latch it uses the correct area on the symbol for placing the lever latch. In doing that I'm thinking they must be using some kind of "Origin Offset" to accomplish this. If I need to I'll attach the latch and brass knob symbol along with the door in a wall plan file in a later thread.  Any ideas?

plate latch.jpg

Mark...….………….Not quite sure how to use the lever to work with. Those items aren't like a conventional symbol where you can "open" them up from the library and check their origins. Is it "origins" what you are referring too or am I in a different "ballpark"?

29 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Those items aren't like a conventional symbol where you can "open" them up from the library and check their origins

Place in your plan loose, then you can open symbol and add to library. Might want to set Z to 0 when working just so you can see the axis.

image.png

Mark...….…………..Thanks for the info. My wife has some "projects" for me at the moment. As soon as I can I'll play around with the info you gave. This should give me something to work with. Be safe and have a great day. I'll keep you all posted.