Vertical Cabinet Pulls

robdyck

1 hour ago, LevisL said:

Change the hardware settings for one or each door/set of doors here:

Nice... didn't know that.   This is the kind of thing that just wrankles me...  why are there two different places to adjust the hardware?  

So down-voter... you don't think it could be better if all hardware manipulation were able to be done on a single page?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

why are there two different places to adjust the hardware?  

So you can override the default hardware settings for specific parts of a cabinet! On a 4 drawer bank for example, you could leave 3 of the 4 as default and override just the one.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Nice... didn't know that.   This is the kind of thing that just wrankles me...  why are there two different places to adjust the hardware?  

20 years, I'd never thought to look there either!

2 minutes ago, LevisL said:

So you can override the default hardware settings for specific parts of a cabinet! On a 4 drawer bank for example, you could leave 3 of the 4 as default and override just the one.

Yeah... I get that, but my question is deeper... why not just have one page for setting and adjusting hardware... whether you follow the default with all doors/drawers or just select ones?  It's one of those things that once you learn it's fine, but it could be done more intuitively.  

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

I've used that before for inserting appliances... it looks like that would be all that its for.

Yup, one of those oddities that's no big deal...once you know! We should start a simple topic of oddities!

- why does the 'footing' layer only affect plan view? In elevation view, the footing is a slave to its wall. So if I change a wall line style, the footing changes as well, HOWEVER,

if I change the line style and layer of a roof plane, the ridge cap or gutter etc does NOT change, it holds to its own layer settings. Kinda annoying for an addition project!

40 minutes ago, robdyck said:

But up/down, left/right only. Not back to the face of a recessed panel.

You have me confused here!! You're saying you can have a combination of overlaid and recessed panels in the same cabinet in Chief?! How the heck do you accomplish that in the cabinet dbx?!

17 minutes ago, LevisL said:

You have me confused here!! You're saying you can have a combination of overlaid and recessed panels in the same cabinet in Chief?! How the heck do you accomplish that in the cabinet dbx?!

Pretty sure he means if you locate the hardware in the recessed panel area of a framed door/drawer but not on the stile, then it floats off of the surface

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LevisL said:

No, but rather placing a handle directly on the recessed panel portion of a drawer / door as opposed to the frame (rail / stile).

Gotcha. I hear you. That would be nice. Right now for that situation, you'd probably need to make a duplicate symbol of your handle with the 3D geometry offset. But that would be a PITA for sure!

7 hours ago, DzinEye said:

why not just have one page for setting and adjusting hardware... whether you follow the default with all doors/drawers or just select ones?

Can you show us how this might look and where it might go?  I personally think its pretty reasonable right where it is. 

12 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Can you show us how this might look and where it might go?  I personally think its pretty reasonable right where it is. 

Sure, I can explain it...

Currently the Door/Drawer panel of the DBX is laid out very clearly to allow hardware manipulation on the cabinet.  So naturally that is where one would expect to adjust the hardware on their cabinet.  However once you click on the 3D cabinet image in that panel it reverts you over to the Front/Sides/Back panel where things are not so clearly laid out for adjusting hardware.   

Why not have that 3D image in the Door/Drawer panel operate the same way it does in the Front/Sides/Back panel, allowing you to select the door or drawer and adjust the hardware on just that door or drawer?  If you don't have a door/drawer selected (or select a checkbox for 'entire cabinet'), then your changes effect the entire cabinet.... all done right there in that very well laid out and obvious place for hardware manipulation.  Leave the Front/Sides/Back panel just for arranging the panels, as it works now.

8 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Why not have that 3D image in the Door/Drawer panel operate the same way it does in the Front/Sides/Back panel, allowing you to select the door or drawer and adjust the hardware on just that door or drawer?  If you don't have a door/drawer selected (or select a checkbox for 'entire cabinet'), then your changes effect the entire cabinet.... all done right there in that very well laid out and obvious place for hardware manipulation.  Leave the Front/Sides/Back panel just for arranging the panels, as it works now.

I get the basic idea you’re after and it sounds nice on the surface.  The reason I asked that you “show us” how it might look though is because I think if you try drawing it up you’ll see there are some pretty notable issues to contend with such as how and where you set the panel and hardware “defaults” for that particular cabinet and how/where you situate all the extra controls in a way that doesn’t add its own confusion.  

I suppose part of the solution might be 2 data entry fields...1 for “Object Default” and another for “Selected Item”.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I suppose part of the solution might be 2 data entry fields...1 for “Object Default” and another for “Selected Item”.   

Yes, that is one way.  I was suggesting some kind of obvious checkbox as another... where the whole 3D image of the cabinet highlights when you're modifying defaults for the entire cabinet, and when you select an individual door/drawer then just that door/drawer highlights... just as it works now in the Front/Sides/Back panel.

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

Yes, that is one way.  I was suggesting some kind of obvious checkbox as another... where the whole 3D image of the cabinet highlights when you're modifying defaults for the entire cabinet, and when you select an individual door/drawer then just that door/drawer highlights... just as it works now in the Front/Sides/Back panel.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I get the basic idea you’re after and it sounds nice on the surface

Kinda the same thing as shelves, right? Click on a door/drawer and a shelf management dbx shows up. And I don't see any reason that a field for offsets couldn't be available for the x&y&z axis.

I  actually think the cabinet dbx could use a separate 'hardware' tab. That's what I'd want if I did cabinet plans regularly.