Deck Room Size

robdyck

Is there a simple way to get a deck to display it's framing dimensions as the room size as opposed to the room size label that reduces the room size because of the exterior wall cladding?

I've been typing these in manually for 20 plus years and I might be getting sick of it! During design development, a deck size may change several times and clients don't like seeing a deck labeled wrong. I prefer to fix the label for the final draft...

image.thumb.png.f6b103500435e07a7327bf089db7fb95.png

2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Change where the main layer is on your railing wall definition?

Then I'll get the wrong width, right? I'd need to use a different railing wall type for walls that are opposite a house wall.

47 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I'd need to use a different railing wall type for walls that are opposite a house wall.

Yes but not sure it is possible for a railing wall and have it display properly.  Let us know if you find the right combination of settings to defeat chief's automatic settings.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes but not sure it is possible for a railing wall and have it display properly.  Let us know if you find the right combination of settings to defeat chief's automatic settings.

It doesn't work well, but here's what I came up with. 

My default deck railing wall - used for side of deck.image.thumb.png.b948a0f2948af5656731bc14f08320af.png

My outer railing wall - a copy plus 1"image.thumb.png.24fa1a1be73b869af1036e96354bdbc9.png

Then, for proper plan display, adjusted the wall thickness back to 3"image.thumb.png.3d1bc80d9ede302bda3de82a7b05664c.png

Plan view display:image.thumb.png.bb46d1e3fbe42e689e0a6c3f40d34fd6.png

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It doesn't work well, but here's what I came up with. 

My default deck railing wall - used for side of deck.

Yup that is what I did as well but I did not like that the wall definition was not correct and the 10' dimension would not snap to the outer layer but it is close to creating the correct illusion I suppose.  Way more work than it should be and still not correct for another simple problem in Chief. ;)

Just now, Chopsaw said:

Yup that is what I did as well but I did not like that the wall definition was not correct and the 10' dimension would not snap to the outer layer but it is close to creating the correct illusion I suppose.  Way more work than it should be and still not correct for another simple problem in Chief. ;)

Over the length of a career, how much time has been wasted retyping deck sizes, and garage sizes...

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Over the length of a career, how much time has been wasted retyping deck sizes, and garage sizes...

I quit wasting time long ago. I just label those without the size (rich text box with the %room.name% macro), then I just actually dimension them. Then it doesn't matter if the size changes.

13 minutes ago, LevisL said:

I quit wasting time long ago. I just label those without the size (rich text box with the %room.name% macro), then I just actually dimension them. Then it doesn't matter if the size changes.

You know, I remember doing the same thing a long time back. Then, I had a client (a general contractor) who couldn't figure out how big the garage was. Heaven forbid you'd make someone actually 'read the plan'.

20 minutes ago, LevisL said:

I wondered this myself... but figured to each their own.  I show those room sizes only when in design so the client has an idea of the room sizes without having the plan all dimensioned.  Once it's dimensioned, those room size tags are gone.  

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You know, I remember doing the same thing a long time back. Then, I had a client (a general contractor) who couldn't figure out how big the garage was. Heaven forbid you'd make someone actually 'read the plan'.

Well you know the old saying... you can't fix stupid.   That's a bit scary if it was a contractor?!?.. jeez

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Haha. Well If they can't figure it out from a clear plan like this, I'd tell them where to go!!! Luckily I haven't had to!

748643361_PrelimFloorPlanExample.thumb.png.b25ffa19e895a28c2379a32e27fb432d.png

2 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

I wondered this myself... but figured to each their own.  I show those room sizes only when in design so the client has an idea of the room sizes without having the plan all dimensioned.  Once it's dimensioned, those room size tags are gone.  

Well you know the old saying... you can't fix stupid.   That's a bit scary if it was a contractor?!?.. jeez

He was just used to looking at that nice big juicy room label, ya know?

Just now, robdyck said:

Do you think it'd help if I made my plans clear and easy to read?

Haven't seen your plans, so I won't comment! I was just saying, in my case, during the design phase, I show minimal dimensions and the room size labels. If they can't figure it out from that, I don't want to be around when they get the full con docs and start building!!! :lol:

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

He was just used to looking at that nice big juicy room label, ya know?

Ha ha... ya, well if you had the room labels in other rooms, but not the garage, then I guess I understand where he's coming from.
Reminds me of one time early in my backpacking days, I was in a designated Wilderness area heading for a particular lake.  I had my map and compass and knew how to use them, but as I'm hiking along, mile after mile, I'm passing side trails and every single one of them has a sign pointing down the side trail calling out the lake it heads to, and the distance.  So I get to where the lake I'm heading to should be and it's driving me NUTS that I can't find the sign calling out the trail to the lake.  I didn't need that, I could've just cross-countried over to the lake with my map and compass, but having seen such a sign at every lake I just expected it to be there.  

6 minutes ago, LevisL said:

Haven't seen your plans, so I won't comment! I was just saying, in my case, during the design phase, I show minimal dimensions and the room size labels. If they can't figure it out from that, I don't want to be around when they get the full con docs and start building!!! :lol:

Another reason I've typed so many of those room dimensions is because I was often providing brochure style floor plans so the builders needed the correct garage and deck sizes on a brochure shown for potential customers. I always did those marketing plans last, and it was pretty simple to just have a different text style for that layer set.

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Another reason I've typed so many of those room dimensions is because I was often providing brochure style floor plans so the builders needed the correct garage and deck sizes on a brochure shown for potential customers. I always did those marketing plans last, and it was pretty simple to just have a different text style for that layer set.

True enough. I've made my own labels for situations like that as well.