Exterior Keystone & Soldier Course Trim For Windows In Brick Walls

Cheryl_C_Crane

Go to solution Solved by Cheryl_C_Crane,

I spend most of my time with virtual staging for Realtors, and am admittedly rusty with exterior detailing. I know that this has to be simple, and have looked for a sample planset so that I could see the correct settings for this look. I have read the thread of 8/19/14 for an arch over a garage door, and will follow Joe's advice of making a brick+mortar joint and saving as a symbol then applying it to a trim polyline. I suppose that it would be on either side of the keystone.

Surely, this is reinventing the wheel.

I have attached a little plan. Please open it and look at the materials on the exterior trim of both windows.

The Capitol (Jack Arch w/ Keystone) has 2 materials - only the second one appears. This is out of the Basic Library that comes with CA X6.

The 3D Polyline Molding (Sill) has soldier course on the left window. On the Right Window is reg brick material. I used different brick that the wall to make it easier to see.

Also, there is no Center Tool for 3D Polyline Moldings - UGH! I love that tool!

Thanks for your time and help. If someone could post either a little plan with a window, so that I could see the settings, or a pix of the DBX I'd really appreciate it.

Ext Win Trim experiment.zip

post-72-0-92049100-1414360722_thumb.png

post-72-0-43791600-1414360752_thumb.jpg

Both materials are showing for the jack arches - but maybe you were expecting one material to be the brick, and the other to be the mortar. That's not how the jack arch symbols are modeled. Shoot an ortho overview and zoom in on the jack arches to see what I mean.

I made the symbol out of bricks and mortar - but, IT CAN"T GET ANY UGLIER in plan view. 

From the side, it doesn't penetrate the wall! From the side this is clearly 'glued on architecture'.  But, it looks fine straight on.

Any & all advice is appreciated.

(Otherwise, I will create a Layer called Butt Ugly Capitals & Sills to be turned on for elevations, and off for Plan Views.)

post-72-0-50833500-1414508833_thumb.png

post-72-0-92426900-1414508877_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-71172300-1414508892_thumb.png

Ext Win Trim experiment.zip

I suggest creating your jack arch as a millwork symbol which can be applied to the window in the Treatments>Exterior Millwork Above Casing dbx. Instead of modeling the jack arch as full-depth, model the depth to match the reveal you want - then when it is applied it will look correct in camera view.

If I was working with your model, I would slide that symbol into the wall more leaving maybe 1 inch showing and put it on its own layer, then turn it off in plan view. I might also change the symbol to be thinner so you don't have that problem anyway. I have a window with the moldings built in to the window moldings but no keystone or angled sides, you would have to model them manually. I would do all the surrounding brick in the window molding DBX and the lintel top as a p-solid, easy to stretch for different size windows. Here is the brick surround but not exactly what you need. Not sure if it helps though.

window w- brick.plan

• Solution

Robert & Perry, Thank you so very much! I will definitely use both ideas. Perry's for most windows and especially for the sills on these. I'l save a symbol in Millworks so that the keystone and diagonal brick can be more integral to the window. I knew that there was a better way, and that I was wrong headed.

Many Thanks!