Casing recessed to Main Layer?

Larry_Sweeney

I do a lot of restorations or design homes to appear as 18th or early 19th century homes as nearly as possible with today's "modern standards". One of the many items that bugs me is when using built up casings on doors and windows with the casing being placed on the studs on the interior walls. This, of course, means on both sides of a door on an interior wall this has to be accomplished. When setting up the interior door defaults I check the "Recessed" box to Main Layer. The problem is CA only recesses one side (exterior side). I've tried many things for a work around, but as of yet I haven't found an acceptable one. Does anyone have a solution/work around for this? Up to now I've tried to just ignore the problem by adding notes and many cad details. Doing this "time" when things are really slow, I figure, is a good time to give this and "other"  issues more thought. Any and all thoughts/advice is always much appreciated.

door casing.jpg

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Does anyone have a solution/work around for this?

No workaround needed, this option is in your Door Specifications- Jamb/Has Jamb/Inset
Question regarding the detail you are showing as an example. what are you end nailing your wallboard/RC channel/lathe etc. to if not the king/trimmer?

19 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

No workaround needed, this option is in your Door Specifications- Jamb/Has Jamb/Inset
Question regarding the detail you are showing as an example. what are you end nailing your wallboard/RC channel/lathe etc. to if not the king/trimmer?

Rene............…......…. Can you "show" me how this works? I played with changing the jamb to 3 1/2" but the casing does not come into the studs like I want them to. "Inset box" just offsets the jamb location while the casings remain on the outside of the plaster. Am I missing some other setting? The cad detail in the attachment shows how I accomplish the framing/trim for this particular trim detail. As you can see I'm showing rabbeted jambs also.------------another issue. :unsure:

side jamb detail.jpg

Rene................I've been playing around with this "problem", which was kind of on the same thoughts as Eric's solution. I'll try to explain it to you. I think this is a partial work around in trying to get CA to correctly display what I'm showing in the cad detail I'm showing in my previous thread. I still have work to do. 

1.  I made a wall that had 1 3/4" studs (1/2 the thickness  a 3 1/2" wall) and put plasterboard and plaster on just the exterior side. On the interior side of the Main Layer I set the line weight to zero. I then installed a door recessed to the main layer, Separate Trim and Materials on Each side Options dbx. checked and Interior casing turned off.

2. I drew a line parallel to the wall and copied reflect about.

3. I then change the copied wall hinged door to a doorway and labeled that wall as a "furred wall.

4. I brought the two walls together.

5. I added the framing just to show, what I think is the only downfall in this work around, which is 2 studs being placed at each location side by side because of the half thickness wall. I think this "might" be a better work around than Eric's suggestion. As with any (or most) work arounds it can be a PITA especially if there are a lot of doors/doorways in a project. It, I think, would be much easier if CA would just give us an option to recess the casing on either/or or both sides of a wall.--------------Any thoughts?

1.thumb.jpg.4440da7f9f79eba76b80abc3e1a37b42.jpg   

2.thumb.jpg.1f185bc591f7d667081fd89d715c2dbe.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.fdbe7709b51feeeaf3f837fda0318193.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.75d2043cfa741ac0177dfbecc4bd6fbc.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.e21b9fd7f61c5f12fc850d971c8b6e70.jpg

" I think, would be much easier if CA would just give us an option to recess the casing on either/or or both sides of a wall.--------------Any thoughts? "

Hey Larry, did you post this in the suggestions Thread? I can see where this would be a use full tool .