Mid century rounded roofs??

Designer1

I saw this cool neighborhood in the bay area that featured really cool and unusual 50s and 60s homes.  The roofs were low to no pitch and on all corners of the homes roof were rounded.  Now whenever I see something unusual like that I stop and think... Can you design that in Chief Architect??  I found this picture of the neighborhood online to just show what kind of roof I was talking about.

So my question....  can you build this house roof style with automatic roofs?

That is Art-Deco style. 
Yes it can be done automatically, but with a trick of some sorts...
You'd have to build invisible walls/room dividers 18" (or whatever overhang you want) outside your building walls with curved corners in the shape that you'd want the roof to be, then set your auto build roof overhang to just an inch or two.

28 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

That is Art-Deco style. 
Yes it can be done automatically, but with a trick of some sorts...
You'd have to build invisible walls/room dividers 18" (or whatever overhang you want) outside your building walls with curved corners in the shape that you'd want the roof to be, then set your auto build roof overhang to just an inch or two.

Mark,  that sounds great in theory but have you done it successfully?  Not sure chief will automatically do a curved overhang even over a curved wall.  I have not tried your exact scenario but think chief would build many straight sectioned roof planes if it was to work at all.

Fortunately it can be done manually.

Here is an easy way. From floor plan view locate and highlite your roof plane and use display one floor up (at bott task bar) to move roof plane up to attic. Use circle tool and align a circle (you choose circle size) at bott corner of roof where you want the rounded clip.

Highlite roof plane, choose break line tool (again bott task bar) be sure to click stay in this mode thumbtack, and create a series of break lines at this rounded corner. 6 or so should work. Clear out of break mode. again highlite roof plane, zoom to roof corner, pull breake lines around circle. They should snap to circle radius. Take a full render camera view. If it looks choppy on the radius you created add more break lines.

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Mark,  that sounds great in theory but have you done it successfully?  Not sure chief will automatically do a curved overhang even over a curved wall.  I have not tried your exact scenario but think chief would build many straight sectioned roof planes if it was to work at all.

Ya, I did do it before...but sure, it does facet the curve, but those radii in the OP's picture are quite small so the curves looked pretty good.

Round corner roof.JPG

Ok thanks guys that seems to work ok for a tight radius.  However if you want to avoid the extra roof plane lines you can use polyline subtraction and then convert curve to polyline with as many sides as you like which allows a much smoother curve than the minimum 6.0° segment angle of auto roof.  This is much more significant with larger radiuses.

10 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok thanks guys that seems to work ok for a tight radius.  However if you want to avoid the extra roof plane lines you can use polyline subtraction and then convert curve to polyline with as many sides as you like which allows a much smoother curve than the minimum 6.0° segment angle of auto roof.  This is much more significant with larger radiuses.

Yeah, 6° is pretty darn tight for those radii... the view I showed was 15°  
I wish we could use the Change Line/Arc tool on roof edges.

Just now, DzinEye said:

I wish we could use the Change Line/Arc tool on roof edges.

You ca do that manually with polyline subtraction and then use the convert curve to polyline to choose the number of sides / Angle increment.

But yes that would be great to be able to use those tools directly on the roof plane. :)