CAD DETAIL FROM VIEW DIMENSION ISSUE

BILL88

Within the last few years I have purchased and upgraded two stations of Chief V10.

I am a 15 year professional user of Chief Architect and love the software but this isue s baffling me.

When I create my cad floor plans using "CAD Detail From View" a random amount of the "dimension text positions" center the text on the dimension line.

My default is set to 1/4" dimension which are set to dimension above line. See snip attached.

I have to keep manually moving the affected dims text to above the line.

This has been an issue thru many projects. I have tried changing setting many times to no avail.

As I stated above I have 2 stations using ChiefV10 and it happens on both stations and all plans. Is there a setting I am missing?

My format for producing my final building plans is to create cad drawing of floor plans and elevations using "cad detail by view".

Having to manually move the random dimension texts back to above the lines is very time consuming.

This never happened on any previous versions I have used in the past.

Anybody have a fix for this? Thanks! 

Also Chief  V x10

MS WIN home10

AMD A10-7850K with radeon R7 graphic

8.00 GB

dim snip.PNG

Edited by BILL88
No responses to issue

Thanks Joey for response.

I do this for a few reasons.

One is to keep a record of client changes within the same plan file. Usually many changes take place.

Another is I have accumulated hundreds of notes that I cut and paste into the cad details.

See sample plan below.

I use to work with an old timer who hand drew his plans. He cut and pasted a lot. 

HILAIRE STAMPED PLAN PDF 1-17-20.pdf

33 minutes ago, BILL88 said:

Another is I have accumulated hundreds of notes that I cut and paste into the cad details.

You can save these in a couple of ways so that they are not filing up your template plan file and bogging it down. 

Method 1: Block them and save them individually in your user library and place appropriate notes in each plan.

Method 2: Save a Misc. notes template plan with them in Cad Details (not the same as your regular plan file) and then reference them to your final layout file.  

These two methods help you keep your file size small in your plan.   BTW nice easy to read plans.

Method 1 - Thats pretty much my format. When the design is complete I cad the floor plans and elevations using "detail from view". Then I work thru my customized active layer displays to produce framing plans, section thrus etc... then cad these using "detail from view", then send each cad detail from project browser/cad details to its respective page of my layout template. Then I just work the layout pages one by one, importing my blocked cad notes and detail blocks from user library exploding/editing/using what I need,dumping what I don"t.  

Thank you for plan kudo"s. Keeping it simple. Contains only whats required by code. 

user library snip.PNG

Oh I use the 3D features, working thru design with clients but 2D for construction plans.

Using cad detail from view worked fine with my previous versions. May be a glitch. Guess I will just have to keep moving the random affected Jay.pdfdim texts manually.

18 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Simply not true.

Agree. When I click > its a dimension line. No idea why its dropping random dim texts to centerline when I "cad detail from view" 

Capture1.PNG

24 minutes ago, BILL88 said:

No idea why its dropping random dim texts to centerline when I "cad detail from view" 

Here is the bad news Bill,  It actually still works that way in X12 if you set the Text Position manually.  However if you set the default to be "Above Dimension Line" it seems to carry through to the cad detail that way.

Try that in X10 and see if it works for you.

Sorry I just read your OP again and you are using the default but I just had a go in X10 and it works the same as X12 for me.

When the cad detail is created the dimensions return to their default.

So you could try resetting the default and the cad detail dimensions should follow that.

18 minutes ago, BILL88 said:

No luck. I am stumped. Still dropping random text. 5 trys resetting dim defaults, always different drops. 

Calling it quits for the night.

Post a test plan file and someone will figure it out. Maybe something we have not thought of until we see the situation.

3 hours ago, BILL88 said:

Agree. When I click > its a dimension line. No idea why its dropping random dim texts to centerline when I "cad detail from view" 

Capture1.PNG

I don't know why either.  You should report it to tech support if you want to see it changed.  In the meantime, here's a workaround for you:. 

1. Before creating your CAD Detail From View, activate a dimension tool, Shift select everything (which will grab all your dimensions), and Copy. 
  2. CAD Detail From View
  3. Activate a dimension tool, Shift select everything (which will grab all your dimensions), and delete
  4. Paste Hold Position

6 hours ago, joey_martin said:

You are telling me I'm wrong, and then set out to prove that I am right. It doesn't work..

Why not just send the plan to layout and not mess with the CAD of the plan, then it would work just like you want it to.

I’m not trying to condone converting floor plans to CAD Details.  The OP seems to have his reasons for doing so though.  To each his own.  Anyway, I stand behind what I said.  You made an erroneous statement....

18 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Once you make a CAD from view, that is no longer a dimension string, it's a bunch of CAD lines and numbers. It won't keep the defaults of a dimension string, because it's not.

This simply isn’t true.  They’re still dimension lines. It’s just that the Text Above Line setting doesn’t carry through properly.  

19 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Once you make a CAD from view, that is no longer a dimension string, it's a bunch of CAD lines and numbers.

There are some neat things that could be done in Chief if that was an option as well as text.

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:
56 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

There are some neat things that could be done in Chief if that was an option as well as text.

You can get this behavior by creating your CAD Detail From View from layout if you want.

Sorry that is not quite what I was after.  Text seems to remain as text.  Dimensions strings are however converted to cad lines and text.

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to thank you all for working so hard trying to help me resolve this issue!

I hope eventually I may stumble on the solution, until then I will deal with it.

Thanks!