Help Needed: Cathedral Ceiling Issues

GinaMc

Hello! I'm new to CA and this kitchen ceiling is KILLING ME! I have tried and tried to open up the end of this room as a cathedral ceiling with a gable end, but flat 8' ceilings over the kitchen area, and I'm not getting the point where it connects to work out right.  Sometimes the wall is there, but I can see the roof trusses, sometimes (like now) there's no wall section there and it's just open.  Now I'm getting this weird wall on the gable end out of nowhere.  Help!!!

And yes, I know there's probably a very simple solution and I'm making this WAY harder than I need to. LOL  

Shire Kitchen.plan.zip

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.50.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.47.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.46.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.45.40 PM.png

OK. Eric, your drawing looks perfect. :) However, I want to get the roof thing figured out so I can know how to do it.  I'm thinking I should delete my current roof and start over...   Thoughts?

Cheryl, it's probably more like a 9/12 or 10/12.  

Gina, I just deleted exterior walls to get a clear view of what was happening in the plan. You can go in and look at the DBX for the walls that are left. You'll want to change the pitch in the Roof DBX. Please note that I added 'Ceiling Planes' at 4/12.  You may want a different pitch there, too. In the case of ceiling planes, click on each and change it individually. They are shown as dashed lines in pink. HTH

ccc Shire copy.zip

I went back in and divided the room using the Room Divider tool.  After I chose "Flat roof over this room" for the main kitchen area, it fixes the rise between the spaces, but I still have this weird triangular wall by the windows.

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 5.09.21 PM.png

4 minutes ago, GinaMc said:

If you haven't noticed, I'm new and I am just learning how to do things. I don't have the actual pitch of the room.

Welcome aboard! You'll have the hang of things in no time. Remember to post here when you've tried all that you know to do. The F1 key is your new best friend, and there is very often someone here that will assist nearly 24/7 thanks to our Australian & New Zeland friends.

Nice Kit, BTW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GinaMc said:

I went back in and divided the room using the Room Divider tool.  After I chose "Flat roof over this room" for the main kitchen area, it fixes the rise between the spaces, but I still have this weird triangular wall by the windows.

Gina, Open the exterior walls on the plan that I sent back and study the dialog boxes.

• Like 1

Yep, CA X12. Sorry

When you have a chance please add a signature to your settings including the CA version & what your hardware is all about so we know what ver you have. 

Just an FYI: the triangle thing was an old attic wall I suspect. I erased all that stuff and placed a new attic wall on the 'Attic" level above the Window Wall. I made sure that the 'Attic Wall' dbx was checked and that the new wall was directly over the wall that you had drawn. 

Wishing you the very best, I have to go all the way to my kitchen now, but I'll be back tomorrow.

I'm sure that someone else that has Ver X11 loaded will be able to assist as well. 

Eric is a GEM! 

18 hours ago, GinaMc said:

Hello! I'm new to CA and this kitchen ceiling is KILLING ME! I have tried and tried to open up the end of this room as a cathedral ceiling with a gable end, but flat 8' ceilings over the kitchen area, and I'm not getting the point where it connects to work out right.  Sometimes the wall is there, but I can see the roof trusses, sometimes (like now) there's no wall section there and it's just open.  Now I'm getting this weird wall on the gable end out of nowhere.  Help!!!

And yes, I know there's probably a very simple solution and I'm making this WAY harder than I need to. LOL  

Shire Kitchen.plan.zip

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.50.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.47.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.46.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.45.40 PM.png

I used your plan to make a training video...hope you don't mind.  Check it out...

• Upvote 1

LOL, Steve! I would be embarrassed if I weren't so grateful! Ha! Oh wow, yeah...I had some serious issues.

I did take this opportunity to upgrade to 12, BTW.

I really, really appreciate everyone's help! My goal is to go front-back on the online training videos, but right now I'm just trying to get out projects...cobbled together as they are.

Thanks, CA community! <3

2 minutes ago, GinaMc said:

LOL, Steve! I would be embarrassed if I weren't so grateful! Ha! Oh wow, yeah...I had some serious issues.

I really, really appreciate everyone's help! My goal is to go front-back on the online training videos, but right now I'm just trying to get out projects...cobbled together as they are.

Thanks, CA community! <3

Glad to help...and yes, Chief Talk and the experts on this Forum is how I learned.  Hope you subscribe to my channel...lots of videos.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, GinaMc said:

Thanks, CA community! <3

Gina, don't forget us the next time you hit a brick wall layer!

Most of us have made our living with CA and we really appreciate the staff in Couer d'Alene working to make the program at max utility and min frustration. But, it's a H U G E feature-rich program! With that, there is a learning curve that comes with using it productively. You are on your way to doing great work with this tool.

As soon as you have time, load in your signature here so that it will be on board. Be sure to check out the posts regularly here and in the Gallery section, and before you know it you'll be assisting someone else (maybe me) who is struggling to get something out the door. 

All the best, ~Cheryl

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thank you for throwing out that reminder Steve! 
I need to do that with all you guys who have YouTube channels... 

Please do, I like Steve's videos, pleasant speaking voice...his wall fill however, gives me an aneurysm, haha. Maybe when I am "Over 60"

27 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Please do, I like Steve's videos, pleasant speaking voice...his wall fill however, gives me an aneurysm, haha. Maybe when I am "Over 60"

Thanks...yea, over 60 has some advantages...but they are few...and some disappear with each additional year.  Arggggg....:blink:

I'm ok without a fill...or a light fill on the final set...but, during design I like to color-code my walls so I can see at a glance what I'm doing.  Just a preference...to each his own. Chief let's each user to choose their personal style.  

1 minute ago, SNestor said:

Thanks...yea, over 60 has some advantages...but they are few...and some disappear with each additional year.  Arggggg....:blink:

I'm ok without a fill...or a light fill on the final set...but, during design I like to color-code my walls so I can see at a glance what I'm doing.  Just a preference...to each his own. Chief let's each user to choose their personal style.  

I would actually love to know the RGB index of your handle fill...its a great color