How can I send 3D cameras to Layout while retaining aspect ratio?

kylejmarsh

Upon sending 3D cameras to layout, I've noticed that they don't come through with the same aspect ratio as shown on my screen. That means I need to zoom waay in to get the view to look correct on the layout. What gives? Is there some setting I'm missing or is this a bug?

Here you see a screen shot of my camera (exactly as shown, with no toolbars turned on so it's the full CA window) and the view as sent to layout (again, cropped perfectly to show how the camera came through). Next I match the widths and put them side by side to show the difference. What accounts for this? I have been unable to figure it out.

1781192927_ScreenShot2020-04-15at10_53_49AM.thumb.png.22f29e306e29179b7e6604e97969db38.png

2 quick options:

1. send to layout as image. You will need to manually replace this if you make a change, but at least you won't be pulling your hair out every time the image 'jumps' around.

This image won't be the highest quality but it may be good enough depending on your final printed size.

2. From the camera, use Export Picture, and save that file at your desired resolution. Import that jpg into layout and resize as needed. Same as above, you'll need to replace the image if you make changes but you can get better picture quality, although it will come with an increased file size of the final pdf. 

Note that if you make a change using option 2, and export the picture and replace the file (keeping the same file name), the enxt time you re-open the layout file, the pciture will be updated. The layout file MUST be closed and re-opened for that update. Another way to get the file to update is to replace the file path with anything else, then again, replace the file path with the correct file path.

25 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

You can also export a 3D image view and in the resulting dialog specify the size and resolution of the exported image and then send that result to layout, if absolute control is required.

Hey David, can you clarify?

Can you "send" that result to layout? Or do you need to bring the resulting file into the layout using the 'import' tools?

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

You can also export a 3D image view and in the resulting dialog specify the size and resolution of the exported image and then send that result to layout, if absolute control is required.

DJP

Yes a good method - you could also have image placeholders in your Layout file, and have them pointed toward /Exterior-1, /Exterior-2 etc. in your project folder, then just overwrrite those files with an export - probably speeds up the Layout process too since those live views can be kind of pesky to deal with.

Here's a recent 'concept' drawing I just did using the live views, as well as a couple different 'stacked' views  - but creates a nice concept drawing. This is pretty much the only place I use the 3D live views -

Concept - Krupp - Apr15.pdf

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

2 quick options:

1. send to layout as image. You will need to manually replace this if you make a change, but at least you won't be pulling your hair out every time the image 'jumps' around.

This image won't be the highest quality but it may be good enough depending on your final printed size.

2. From the camera, use Export Picture, and save that file at your desired resolution. Import that jpg into layout and resize as needed. Same as above, you'll need to replace the image if you make changes but you can get better picture quality, although it will come with an increased file size of the final pdf. 

Note that if you make a change using option 2, and export the picture and replace the file (keeping the same file name), the next time you re-open the layout file, the picture will be updated. The layout file MUST be closed and re-opened for that update. Another way to get the file to update is to replace the file path with anything else, then again, replace the file path with the correct file path.

Some of these additional posts could be confusing. See above. You cannot "send" a picture to layout and choose its aspect ratio. Exporting an image from a camera view is different than sending the view to layout. Importing an image file into layout is different than sending a "current view as image" to layout and its also different than copying / pasting an image into layout.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Some of these additional posts could be confusing. See above. You cannot "send" a picture to layout and choose its aspect ratio. Exporting an image from a camera view is different than sending the view to layout. Importing an image file into layout is different than sending a "current view as image" to layout and its also different than copying / pasting an image into layout.

Probably all true but why wouldn't one use the send Current View as Image' feature? That image can be cropped and resized and I suppose that covers the aspect ratio too? Is it too simple? Or are there drawbacks I'm not aware of?

6 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Upon sending 3D cameras to layout, I've noticed that they don't come through with the same aspect ratio as shown on my screen. That means I need to zoom waay in to get the view to look correct on the layout. What gives? Is there some setting I'm missing or is this a bug?

Here you see a screen shot of my camera (exactly as shown, with no toolbars turned on so it's the full CA window) and the view as sent to layout (again, cropped perfectly to show how the camera came through). Next I match the widths and put them side by side to show the difference. What accounts for this? I have been unable to figure it out.

Kyle,

I've noticed this too. Something seems to have changed in X12. I haven't figured out what causes it or reproduce consistently, but I've had some files where live views retain their aspect ratio when sent to layout, and others not. In this screenshot, you can see my light blue cad guidelines of my screen aspect ratio (2:1 or 0.5) vs. how they came through as live views (5:2 or 0.4).

1843543608_SendCameratoLayoutExample2.thumb.png.12835f55e578c975d5edd895d4824a46.png

Another thing that can affect how a live view appears vs. 'current screen as image' is if you zoom in the camera. The live views don't seem to retain the zoom settings. This hasn't changed from X11 though.

480397655_SendCameratoLayoutExample1.thumb.png.b531ca17c30383349bdde0801b006e81.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Probably all true but why wouldn't one use the send Current View as Image' feature? That image can be cropped and resized and I suppose that covers the aspect ratio too? Is it too simple? Or are there drawbacks I'm not aware of?

One nice feature with live views is that if you make a design change, you can just refresh it (I usually set mine to 'update on demand'). That way you save having to redo all the resizing and cropping every time you change something in that view.

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Any jpg can be cropped and resized. As far as a reason NOT to use the send Current View as Image' feature? When a higher resolution is desired. I typically export pictures at 3000 pixels wide. I've found that to be a happy medium between picture quality and file size.

I'm certainly not arguing too hard against live views, but I'll send all my pictures to layout, one after the other, so they are all in the same spot. Select them all, change one dimension to resize them all at the same time, and distribute along a line. Boom, 2 seconds. Or deal with the BS of a camera view jumping around despite a saved and untouched view...or not...maybe it works maybe it doesn't but it can't be trusted, can it?

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Or deal with the BS of a camera view jumping around despite a saved and untouched view...or not...maybe it works maybe it doesn't but it can't be trusted, can it?

Have used send view as image for as long as the feature existed. As 'an image' it won't jump around because it's simply an image. Can't attest to image resolution but the larger your screen typically the higher the res if I remember correctly. Can you trust it? Dunno but works OK here.

Just remember that's why I don't send the current screen as it can change inadvertently but the image remains a simple image.

Curious has the OP found a solution?

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Have used send view as image for as long as the feature existed. As 'an image' it won't jump around because it's simply an image. Can't attest to image resolution but the larger your screes typically the higher the res if I remember correctly. Can you trust it? Dunno but works OK here.

In my experience "live views" can be jumpy, not images.

Screenshots from a layout window.

1. Camera view sent to layout using "Current Screen As Image". For this particular file it was acceptable.

image.thumb.png.60c5644b71b4485b2efbb4583a218db2.png

But let's say I want to send a clearer picture so the client can zoom in for a better view. Then I'll use "Export Picture" at 3000 or 4000 wide and drag that file into layout. When I want clearer pictures, I'll also print at 600 dpi.

image.thumb.png.6b21f5fb620e4cfa03f97c047537c4c0.png

Take a 3D overview with camera, rotate/tilt/zoom to desired view required, Ray Trace about 9 to 10 passes, menu file/export as jpg to desktop

Double click and open jpg in windows viewer, edit/crop view and size to suit, save it.

Move the saved jpg into a desired folder in the project you are working on.

Import into CA, I usually import into a plain CAD detail sheet and then send to layout, resize to suit on layout

Check save in plan. jpg file should not be moved once saved to plan otherwise it will loose the link and will not display in the plan.

Overview North.jpg

Edited by CAmichael240114

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

I wouldn't use a 'live view' for anything!!! It's waaaay too expensive in smashed furniture and computer monitors plus the resulting behavior and language is hard to explain to the kids!

Learned the hard way some time ago.  I did an extra late night getting presentation drawings ready, and in my case, the live views of orthographic overviews showed up exactly as I wanted them on my screen in Layout.  Printed my PDFs and sent off to the printer.  Picked up my prints in the morning and every single view was dramatically moved in the prints... total garbage.  Had to reschedule my meeting.  Never again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:18 PM, robdyck said:

Select them all, change one dimension to resize them all at the same time,

This brings up a separate but related issue - the ability to set what size/resolution the pictures sent from the model to the layout come in at - right now it seems to be related to how zoomed-in you are - it's totally stupid. I would send a lot more pictures in as image if I knew what size they would arrive at - it's a minor thing but seems to be the logical way for it to work. 

By the way the 'send as image' ones look way better than the 'live' views, based on the files posted above by everybody - to my eye, the 'live' views distort the view enough at the edges to make it seem uncomfortable to look at. The others are more restful to my eye - maybe I'm imagining it.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, DzinEye said:

every single view was dramatically moved in the prints... total garbage.

Yes I think this is a related issue - it's happened to me - I find if I export drawings at anything other than 144dpi this happens. It may just be coincidence - I also have this issue when I re-link to a new version of the file - the ortho cameras will either flip upside down, move up and left, or some combination of the two. A real bummer.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, LevisL said:

I've noticed this too. Something seems to have changed in X12. I haven't figured out what causes it or reproduce consistently, but I've had some files where live views retain their aspect ratio when sent to layout, and others not. In this screenshot, you can see my light blue cad guidelines of my screen aspect ratio (2:1 or 0.5) vs. how they came through as live views (5:2 or 0.4)....

Just FYI, I reported this to tech. support with a link to this thread and they were able to reproduce the issue, so it's been forwarded to the development team. Hopefully that means we'll have improvements in this area sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1