floor trusses

tremhomes

Is it possible to create a bi level single open web floor truss?  I have a 6" step down shower in the middle of a truss span and cannot create a single truss to show the recess for the shower floor.  Don't know if the x12 can automatically create this or not or if it is possible to manually alter the floor truss.   

I did create a room for the shower with a -6 floor elevation and tried to draw a truss but is creates a 0 floor elevation thru the shower.  

Use a roof truss, you can edit its shape (polyline), width, layer, webbing. If you must use floor trusses, you will need a separate truss at each height change. Warning: Floor trusses in this instance are not as reliable to hold their shape (my experience).

I usually end up manually editing the trusses anyway - it's not hard. I don't know how else to do it if chief's automatic behavior doesn't do it. I didn't know you can order trusses with that shower carved out of them but sounds like an awesome idea, instead of having to header it off, etc. Seems a good reason to use floor trusses in that area of the house at least.

Interested to hear if anybody else knows the 'correct' answer.

Just now, kylejmarsh said:

Good idea using the roof truss for this. Wonder why the floor trusses aren't as useful? 

Because you can't edit their polyline. Of course, you can edit the floor truss in its truss detail, if you trust Chief and its settings to hold your work.:wacko:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kylejmarsh said:

Good idea using the roof truss for this. Wonder why the floor trusses aren't as useful? 

I've made feature requests for polyline control of floor trusses. Maybe I typed it up wrong and someone at Chief read it as 'add more cabinet libraries'!!

• Upvote 1

We must have all of the obscure cabinet libraries!!! How dare you sir - requesting that a basic feature be added to the software will not be tolerated! Not only that, but the sheer fact that you've requested it has angered the Chief, and now it will never, ever be fixed! Muahahahahaha!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Maybe I typed it up wrong and someone at Chief read it as 'add more cabinet libraries'!!

I know you said this in jest, but I think there is a general feeling amongst a lot of users that Chief is diverting resources to create all those cabinet libraries.  I really doubt that's the case.  I could be wrong, but I don't for a second believe that Chief is choosing to invest resources in cabinet libraries that could be used for improving program features.  I can't speak directly for Chief but I can just about guarantee you that those are either being created by or at least paid for directly by the manufacturers. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I know you said this in jest, but I think there is a general feeling amongst a lot of users that Chief is diverting resources to create all those cabinet libraries.  I really doubt that's the case.  I could be wrong, but I don't for a second believe that Chief is choosing to invest resources in cabinet libraries that could be used for improving program features.  I can't speak directly for Chief but I can just about guarantee you that those are either being created by or at least paid for directly by the manufacturers. 

Yes, totally in jest! What can I say...I'm a sarcastic guy and sarcasm often comes off as complaining. I probably don't use enough emojis to properly communicate my intent. Which leads me to wonder: What would it take to get a modern selection of emojis on this forum...much like Chief's great selection of cabinet libraries?!

But you emphasized a great point about the libraries that's worth keeping in mind...it ain't Chief's fault about all those cabinets!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

that Chief is diverting resources to create all those cabinet libraries.

They have a couple of persons that make symbols and that is all they do, not "resources" just additional "hats" on their organization board like any other company.

DJP