Why is this plan so S L O W?

Cheryl_C_Crane

This bath plan was a 'save-as' of a bath nearly 2X this size. The larger bath is much faster to generate PBRs than this plan. I dunno why, or what I can do to fix it. I don't have much to do, so I have what I can work with OK. But, what can cause this? The materials are pretty much the same. The 2 plans have different vanities, mirrors & sconces. Thanks for taking a look, ~Cheryl

Together_Bath.zip

Deleting that Arch Block did the trick. THANKS!

David & Michael, could you share how you determined that block was the offender? Any idea why the orig file that is nearly 2x the size didn't have this issue?

I really appreciate you, but I need to know what you know. TY~C

4 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

O.M.G. That's both funny and just what this couple needs!

How did you remember this? Too Funny, thanks for the laugh. I've bookmarked it to show it to them if the moment's right. ~C

BTW: the vanity was changed because she didn't want to catch his hand towel on the Long Bar Pull!

still laughing!

9 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

O.M.G. That's both funny and just what this couple needs!

How did you remember this? Too Funny, thanks for the laugh. I've bookmarked it to show it to them if the moment's right. ~C

BTW: the vanity was changed because she didn't want to catch his hand towel on the Long Bar Pull!

still laughing!

You could put the 'love toilet' where the tub is, and then give them each their own private tub with a window back where the toilets are   :)  

1 hour ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

But, what can cause this? The materials are pretty much the same

No idea about the other plan but worth noting. Opening the camera at the bottom takes north of 50 seconds to get to a missing file dbx, then slogs again if those are not altered.

BUT

IF you go into plan materials, purge, then merge the few remaining duplicates then open the camera at the bottom it takes a tad over 7 seconds including getting out of the missing.

file DBX. Oddly the file size grows??

Delete the robe from the purged file and the time drops down to 4 seconds.

All times are after closing Chief and reopening.

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

You could put the 'love toilet' where the tub is, and then give them each their own private tub with a window back where the toilets are   :)  

That would surely be a 'show-stopper' when they go to sell.

It's amazing the detail you learn about how people live in their homes. I bet now with the quarantine experience we will hear more and more!

10 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

David & Michael, could you share how you determined that block was the offender?

In this particular instance, I just checked it immediately because David pointed it out.  I usually find stuff like that by systematically deleting things and/or by toggling layers off until I find a specific area or group of objects that seems to contain the culprit.  Then I whittle it down further from there. 

11 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Any idea why the orig file that is nearly 2x the size didn't have this issue?

It's the material definition.  One of your "Textured Solid Neutral" colors is using a Pattern Type called 326 Peppercorn that is producing a ridiculous number of pattern lines due to it's very small scale setting.  Remove the pattern and the problem goes away.  I think its just greatly exacerbated due to the fact the robe has 110,000 faces.  The question I don't have an answer for is this...Why are Pattern Lines affecting non-vector views?

11 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

FYI: Here's a pbr of the dbl bath. Apparently he leaves the seat up and she wants her very own toilet. (2MI)

His 'n Her Mbth PBR 3.jpg

I'm curious, have you ever designed something like that before where there are 2 mirrors facing each other?  Reason i ask is that I have, and after doing so decided I would try to avoid ever doing it again.  That infinite mirror effect can be really unpleasant.

18 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

FYI: Here's a pbr of the dbl bath. Apparently he leaves the seat up and she wants her very own toilet. (2MI)

His 'n Her Mbth PBR 3.jpg

It's too bad the toilets are separated by the shower. An opportunity for some priceless moments...wasted!:D

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm curious, have you ever designed something like that before where there are 2 mirrors facing each other?  Reason i ask is that I have, and after doing so decided I would try to avoid ever doing it again.  That infinite mirror effect can be really unpleasant.

I remember being at a Chinese restaurant that had mirrors on all walls and I loved it!  But maybe that's because I was a 6 year old...;)

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

In this particular instance, I just checked it immediately because David pointed it out.  I usually find stuff like that by systematically deleting things and/or by toggling layers off until I find a specific area or group of objects that seems to contain the culprit.  Then I whittle it down further from there. 

It's the material definition.  One of your "Textured Solid Neutral" colors is using a Pattern Type called 326 Peppercorn that is producing a ridiculous number of pattern lines due to it's very small scale setting.  Remove the pattern and the problem goes away.  I think its just greatly exacerbated due to the fact the robe has 110,000 faces.  The question I don't have an answer for is this...Why are Pattern Lines affecting non-vector views?

Michael, Thanks! I'll use this as a template to troubleshoot in the future. I don't ever want to burn my sources for help by repeatedly asking for help on the same issue. 

The 326 Peppercorn is a carpet in the Mohawk Library. I used it on the towels to give a rougher, terry like appearance. I did chance the sizing which probably amplified the issue.

Opposing mirrors do happen in real life, and I've been successfully able to use them in CA since ~ver X12. That said, I turn on reflections and shadows only when testing and exporting. I've had what seems like thousands of women tell me that they want a completely separate vanity over a long dbl basin vanity with 2 mirrors. So, opposing vanities are sometimes the answer. 

I really do appreciate your time and willingness to share your experience, Thanks again, ~Cheryl

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

I remember being at a Chinese restaurant that had mirrors on all walls and I loved it!  But maybe that's because I was a 6 year old...;)

That's so funny.  I too have some very specific memories of a Chinese restaurant with mirrors on all the walls, but I was about 8 years old.  It was a restaurant in a mall in New Hampshire that we would visit from time to time and I was fascinated by the way my own face was always in the corner no matter where I moved.  It's one of my most vivid memories.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Deleting that Arch Block did the trick. THANKS!

David & Michael, could you share how you determined that block was the offender? Any idea why the orig file that is nearly 2x the size didn't have this issue?

I really appreciate you, but I need to know what you know. TY~C

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I usually find stuff like that by systematically deleting things and/or by toggling layers off until I find a specific area or group of objects that seems to contain the culprit.  Then I whittle it down further from there. 

I'll typically narrow it down by doing what Michael said above :)

With your plan. I narrowed it down by randomly deleting a few architectural blocks at a time to see if it made a difference. Once narrowed down to 3 or 4, I simply deleted one at a time which eventually brought me to the robe hook & towel. 

I find that most of the time the slowdowns are caused by models that contain many faces (usually obtained from outside sources like sketchup, turbosquid etc)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1